Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals I.D.

Rayessex

Hello all,

Having recently moved in with the future Mrs Ray, and knowing she knows of my interest in the Great War. You can imagine my shock, when on suday morning she said "what are these, we found them when we were cleaning out my great Grandfathers house in Victoria Street, Harwich, around 1974". She then dropped Two Medals into my hand.

Both were engraved with; 3-3155 PTE Stannard ESSEX R.

The first has 1914-15 on the front, I believe this to be the Mons Star (please excuse if name is wrong).

The Second has THE GREAT WAR FOR CIVILISATION 1914-1919 on the back, with an Angel on the front. I believe this to be the Victory Medal (please excuse if name is wrong).

My question is should there be a third medal?

Both look as new less ribbons

Many thanks

Ray

It's a 15 star medal,Ray.Not a Mons'14.

These are indeed two of a '15 star trio & you are missing the silver war medal,probably the prettiest of the three.Lots were sold off for their silver value for many years after the war.

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

Even with one missing I feel very priviledge to have them.

With the Victory medal, does this mean he survived the War dave? As we know nothing about him.

Thanks

Ray

Hi,

his medal index card states he was Private Percival George Stannard, 11th Battalion Essex Regiment. Landed in France 30th August 1915, so earning the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, and Victory Medal.

He was also given a medical discharge from the Army (wounds or sickness), and qualified for a Silver War Badge.

As a matter of interest, I noticed that there was another C.J.Stannard who was 3/3161 in the 11th Essex, landed the same day, but who was later "Presumed Dead"; and a 3/3028 Ernest Stannard, 10th Essex, France 25th July 1915, also medically discharged on 15th May 1918. Maybe one or even all were relatives of his?

Percival George's record survives in the WO 364 "Pensions" Papers at Kew, in which it states he previously served in the Cheshire Regiment (discharge by purchase) before he joined the Essex on 21 September 1914. A married Labourer aged 32 born Dovercourt, Essex. Served in France till 28th December 1915 when he was returned to the UK after 120 days at the Front, and discharged unfit for further service on 30 August 1916.

The file gives the information that on 28 September 1915 he suffered a gunshot wound to his left arm (serious) and back.

His wife was Alice Lilian, they married in 1904, and they had four children. Lived at Upper Dovercourt, Harwich. The file is stamped "Deceased" but gives no other details.

Free BMD site gives a Percival G Stannard aged 36 dying in the Tendring, Essex Regn. District in the Quarter Year July-September 1918. And a check on CWGC shows it's him, and he has a death date of 5 July 1918 and a war grave at Dovercourt (All Saints) Churchyard. Next of kin A.L.Stannard of 5 Chase Lane, Upper Dovercourt.

I'm sure there's more you can find out about him; but the medals (sadly lacking the silver British War Medal and Silver War Badge) would have been issued to Alice after his death and that's why they look new.

Clive

Munster and Clive,

How can I thank you, all that information from one small enquiry. Many thanks. Can you believe I actually visited his grave last year, and just did not put 2 and 2 together.

Thanks

Ray

SDGW has C.J.Stannard listed as Charles Frederick Stannard also from Dovercourt and there's also a Leonard Henry Stannard killed in action August 8th 1918 from Dovercourt with the 7th battalion East Kent Regiment number G/17459

Regards

Brendan

The 1891 census return shows the parents as been Samuel and Susannah Stannard living on Oakley Lane,Dovercourt with Six children,Samuel was an Agricultural labourer.There children's names were Edith A aged 11,William A 10 ,Percival 8,Ellen 6,Charles F 4 and Minnie G aged 1.The 1901 return shows them living on Oakley Road with four children remaining,William,Charles,Minnie and a new addition named Ethel aged 9.

Regards

Brendan

Hi Ray

Just to add a little more to the info. The SWB list K/112 shows that his Badge number was 63345 and issued due to "Wounds". You never know the badge may turn up but without the number you wouldn't know whose it was.

Kindest Regards

Barry

CWGC shows Charles Frederick Stannard as Pte 373161 (incorrectly numbered? going from previous post by Clive 3/3161) 11th Bn Essex died 26.9.15, son of Susannah and the late Samuel. Percival's brother.

Edited by The Inspector

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To qualify for the Victory medal one had to be mobilised in any service and have entered a theatre of war between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. Women qualified for this and the earlier two medals, for service in nursing homes and other auxiliary forces.

Actually more often than not, it was the Victory medal that was melted for its high bronze composition, during the Great Depression.

• 5 years later...
On 11/18/2011 at 11:06, Rayessex said:

Hello all,

Having recently moved in with the future Mrs Ray, and knowing she knows of my interest in the Great War. You can imagine my shock, when on suday morning she said "what are these, we found them when we were cleaning out my great Grandfathers house in Victoria Street, Harwich, around 1974". She then dropped Two Medals into my hand.

Both were engraved with; 3-3155 PTE Stannard ESSEX R.

The first has 1914-15 on the front, I believe this to be the Mons Star (please excuse if name is wrong).

The Second has THE GREAT WAR FOR CIVILISATION 1914-1919 on the back, with an Angel on the front. I believe this to be the Victory Medal (please excuse if name is wrong).

My question is should there be a third medal?

Both look as new less ribbons

Many thanks

Ray

Do you still have the medals you found for dtannard