Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ireland - Great War - Photos

M_J_Robinson_Dur

Hello everyone,

I am a post-graduate research student studying Irish Great War veterans' post-war lives in the Irish Free State. I have recently sent abstracts off to the editors of both a World War One association journal and to an online Irish History magazine to publish a small (2000-4000 words) article in the two publications based on my research. However, one stickler to my research is that I have very few photos to accompany my upcoming articles.

If anyone has any decent photos relevant to Ireland's involvement in the Great War - i.e.recruitment posters, men at the front, memorials etc. - then I wouldbe eternally grateful. I have typed in a few basic searches into Google imagesand have attained some decent results but hopefully they can hopefully be improved upon. I will also be sure to comment on their location and provider out of gratitude and legality.

Regards - Michael

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has any decent photos relevant to Ireland's involvement in the Great War - i.e.recruitment posters, men at the front, memorials etc. ............ -

Regards - Michael

You will find plenty of memorials at the Irish War Memorial Project. Go to 'Wars' and click on WW I. This will produce a list of the WW I memorials recorded so far.The photographs are free of copyright, but acknowledgement of origin would be appreciated.

If you want to use any, I can provide larger image files of most of them.

Michael Pegum

You will find plenty of memorials at the Irish War Memorial Project. Go to 'Wars' and click on WW I. This will produce a list of the WW I memorials recorded so far.The photographs are free of copyright, but acknowledgement of origin would be appreciated.

If you want to use any, I can provide larger image files of most of them.

Michael Pegum

Hi Michael:

I am working as a volunteer in South Dublin County Council and was working on a Roll of Honour for the Council catchment area using SDGW, Ancestry etc. I came across your site, but wasn't aware that it was possible to use your photos, the accompanying text of which was HUGELY useful for the Rathfarnham Memorial Hall commemorations among others.

Given what you say above I'd really like to use and acknowledge on the Local Studies website. Let me know if that's OK. You'll save me a lot of travelling to re-photograph!

Regards,

Dave

Michael you will find lots of images one ebay of recruitment posters for sale that you can copy free. Also have a look in the regional newspapers of the time, there are lots of Military themed advertisements in there that will look great.

Dave have a look;-

http://baseportal.com/baseportal/research/WW1?Service~=Mercantile

http://homepage.eircom.net/~wlawless/ww1/Dublin.htm

http://southcountydublin.forumforus.com/forum/thread/5562/1/Great_War_dead_from_South_Co_Dublin

http://www.greatwar.ie/

Hi Michael:

I am working as a volunteer in South Dublin County Council and was working on a Roll of Honour for the Council catchment area using SDGW, Ancestry etc. I came across your site, but wasn't aware that it was possible to use your photos, the accompanying text of which was HUGELY useful for the Rathfarnham Memorial Hall commemorations among others.

Given what you say above I'd really like to use and acknowledge on the Local Studies website. Let me know if that's OK. You'll save me a lot of travelling to re-photograph!

Dave

Yes, the photos may be copied and used. It does say that on the 'How to use this site' page, but I think I should make it clearer.

Do you have the book 'Dublin City and County Book of Honour. The Great War 1914 - 1918'? It was published in 2004 by the committee responsible for the Island of Ireland Peace Park at Messines. It lists all those with addresses in Dublin.

It doesn't have a publisher or an ISBN number, but they do have it in the Dublin Central Library in Pearse Street.

Michael

I do have the book and found some missing men. Not sure what to do with the info as the book is quite old.

Thanks for the clarification.

Dave

Hi Michael,

I don't know if you have come accross it yet but the US library of congress is a fantastic resource for material, in particular images. There is always an issue clearing images for publication, however, one good thing about the library of congress is the vast majority of images are in the public domain and those that are not are usually marked as such. Also a lot of the material is available free to download, I did a quick search using the keywords Great War Ireland and found a number of interesting poster that you can down at very high resolution (we are talking well above what printers would normally expect).

Anyway the address is http://www.loc.gov/pictures/. It a very user friendly system and I use all the time to find historic images.

Hope this helps.

Keith