Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Merseyside VC winners

andalucia

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I am trying to find the VC winners with a connection to the Merseyside area. Born or lived here.

So far I have

ERNEST WRIGHT ALEXANDER

NOEL CHAVASSE

GABRIEL GEORGE COURY

ARTHUR EVANS

CYRIL EDWARD GOURLEY

DAVID JONES

ALEXANDER MALINS LAFONE

FRANK LESTER

HUGH McDONALD McKENZIE

JOHN O'NEILL

WILLIAM RATCLIFFE

RONALD NIEL STUART

ALBERT WHITE

Anyone know of any others.

cheers

Ant

Hi

My 1st cousin Albert White is Seargent Albert Whites VC, Grandson, we last met and talked at the unveilling of Noel Godfrey Cavasses's

bronze statue in Liverpool, to say he was proud of his Grandfather would be an understatement, he does not know the wereabouts of his VC

medal, which is very sad and I know he would be most welcome of any information regarding his Grandfather or any people connected to him.

PaulOB

• 6 months later...

Hi, Try Norman Harvey, born Newton-Le-Willows which is part of St.Helens Borough. Interesting in that he won his VC in WW1 but was later killed in Palestine during WW2.

VCNormanHarvey.jpg

• 10 months later...

As a result of the acts of Sgt George Nurse VC, Colenso Bty, now of 29 Rgt RA, was so named. Sgt Nurse gave his son the middle name Colenso and this tradition continues to this day. In the 1980's, a man called Lewis - I've forgotten his first name - was researching all the Merseyside VCs. He located Sgt Nurses' grave in Allerton cemetery, which was badly neglected and overgrown. He contacted the Royal Artillery, who arranged for a new, standard gravestone to be erected and sent an honour guard from Colenso Bty for the dedication, which I attended. Among the honour guard was Bombardier George Colenso Nurse, great-grandson of Sgt Nurse. His father, Mr George Colenso Nurse was also there. A great day, which I have photos of. Somewhere I also have a copy of the Merseyside VCs that Mr Lewis collated.

Dan Tanzey

tasimov@aol.com