Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Merseyside VC winners

andalucia

Hi all

I am trying to find the VC winners with a connection to the Merseyside area. Born or lived here.

So far I have

ERNEST WRIGHT ALEXANDER

NOEL CHAVASSE

GABRIEL GEORGE COURY

ARTHUR EVANS

CYRIL EDWARD GOURLEY

DAVID JONES

ALEXANDER MALINS LAFONE

FRANK LESTER

HUGH McDONALD McKENZIE

JOHN O'NEILL

WILLIAM RATCLIFFE

RONALD NIEL STUART

ALBERT WHITE

Anyone know of any others.

cheers

Ant

Buried in Allerton cemetery there is a Boer war V.C with the surname Nurse. He served in the R.A and won his V.C at Colenso he died in 1947. Also buried in Allerton is William Ratcliffe. Nearer to Allerton is the village of Woolton where E.R Alexander lived in a house called The Heyes. The is a Road called The Heyes which is situated near where the house once stood.

John Thomas Davies (South Lancs Regiment) of 19 Railway Terrace, Tranmere, Birkenhead - died 28/10/1955 - buried in St Helens Borough Cemetery.

The nearest WW1 VC winner to me I think, about 3 miles.

Regards, BillyH

Back with 4 more!

John Molyneux - born St Helens - died 25/3/1972

Thomas Mottershead - born Widnes - died 12/1/1917

Thomas Neely - born Seacombe, Wirral - died 1/10/1918

Arthur Herbert Procter - born Bootle - died 26/1/1973

Regards BillyH

The above Thomas Neely lived at 13 Tabor Street, Seacombe, the house my grandmother grew up in years later.

Not a great claim to fame i'll grant you, but I was impressed when I spotted it.

By the way, is it ww1 only?

Burton on the Wirral is technically Cheshire, not Merseyside. Shame.

The Congreve family used this church and there are a number of monuments. They were related to William Congreve the Restoration playwright. Captain Walter Norris Congreve (1862-1927) of the Rifle Brigade won the Victoria Cross for action at Colenso, South Africa 1899 and went on to become General Sir Walter Congreve, a corp commander in the Great War. His son was William La Touche Congreve VC, DSO, MC, who was awarded the VC posthumously in July 1916. They are one of only three father and son pairs to win the VC.

I took a relative of John Thomas Davies VC, 11th South Lancs on a private battlefield trip in the summer. We walked in his footsteps on the Somme and at Eppeville for his VC action. A detailed write up of the trip with some photos can be found on my website: http://jeremybanning.co.uk/2011/09/02/bespoke-battlefield-tour-walking-in-the-footsteps-of-corporal-jt-davies-vc-11th-south-lancashire-regiment/

I am also working on a big report on Jack Davies' life for this client. There is a very good folder in the IWM Dept of Docs on him.

As he served with the 11th SLR, J T Davies will be included in the St Helens Pals project being run by Dave Risley and referred to elsewhere on the forum.

Ant

I have emailed you a copy of my home-made index to the names in the four volumes of 'Liverpool Heroes', which is useful as a quick reference.

If anyone else wants a copy of the index, send me a pm with your email address. It lists surname, initials if more than one of the same surname, volume number and year of the deed.

Daggers

If your counting Runcorn casualties well nearer to home in Widnes there is a memorial stone for Wilkinson V.C a W W 2 casualty he is also commemorated on the family grave in Widnes Cemetery and the Naval Memorial at the Pier Head.

IPT

The Congreve family: if you want a thin link to Liverpool for the family I can offer you Lieut. F.L. Congreve R.A. who was the brother of one winner of the Victoria Cross and uncle of another, but not himself a VC. He was the pre-war adjutant to a Gunner TF Brigade in Liverpool who did not do too badly, winning a DSO and MC and reaching Lieut-Colonel. He lived in Aigburth while serving here.

D

Thank you all, its much appreciated.

Some great info here. Once again this forum comes up trumps.

Daggers thanks for the email, very good of you to send that.

Ant

Thanks IP

Im looking for WW1 and WW2.

I have read a few of the earlier winners.

Ant

I presume that this rules out Donald Farmer, Instructor with the Liverpool Scottish before WW1 and adjutant of 2/10 KLR in WW1, who won his VC with the Cameron Highlanders in the Boar War. Buried (or at least ashes scattered) at Anfield Cemetery, I think.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/local-vc-winners.html

Added to website. Local Victoria Cross winners.

Enjoy and remember these brave guys.

If anyone can help with pics of headstones.plaques to these men then it would be great.

Any info to add or spot any mistakes just contact me.

And thank you all once again for the help.

Cheers

Ant