Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nursing Sister Majorie Beatrice Moberly

chris.wight

While recently taking some photos at the Mountain View Cemetery in Vancouver, British Columbia, I came across a grave marker to Nursing Sister Marjorie Beatrice Moberly, CAMC, who died oc October 26, 1918. It was, I thought, rather unusual as the marker was besides two rows of CWGC graves (where there is a missing CWGC gravestone in front of her grave marker. I took several photos,

pb100010k.jpg

The second one shows how worn the inscription is, but for the present it is still legible:

pb090267.jpg

When I had the chance I checked the CWGC's website to see what details were given about her only to find she was not listed. She was not listed on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial either.

So I went to the Vancouver Public library which holds death certificates on microfilm and period newspapers to see what I could find.

It indicated her occupation as being a Nursing Sister who died at Coquitlam Military Hospital {British Columbia) having been at the place of death since October 12-26, 1918. She had been a resident of Coquitlam for only 14 days having previously lived at 1630 Haro Street in Vancouver. The cause of death was influenza. The informant for the information was Major W.S. Baird, MD, Officer Commanding Coquitlam Military Hospital (link to his attestation papers) and he also issued the death certificate.

Her death was mentioned under a general story heading "Less Number of new cases of "flu"" in the October 28, 1918 edition of the Vancouver Daily Province:

DIES AT COQUITLAM

The death occurred at the Coquitlam Military Hospital on Saturday of Nursing Sister Marjorie Beatrice Moberly, aged 23. She had applied for overseas' service eighteen months ago, but was not called on until the influenza outbreak, when she immediately went to Coquitlam. After a few days she contracted the disease. She was the first military nurse to die from the epidemic. She was the daughter of Major Moberly of the Board of Pension Commissioners.

The same newspaper contained a death notice on October 29th.

MOBERLY---THE DEATH OCCURRED on Saturday, October 26, at Coquitlam Military Hospital, of Marjorie Beatrice Moberly, aged 23, a member of the nursing staff, the dearly loved daughter of Major and Mrs. G. Moberly of 1630 Haro street. The funeral will take place at 10.30 a.m. from Center & Hanna's chapel, Major the Rev. C.C. Owen officiating.

Thanks to some excellent research by fellow CEF Study Group members, Annette Fulford and Al C., further details came to light.

Al found a mention of her death in the War Diaries of Military District 11 in Canada:

e001571749.jpg

He also found mention of her receiving a military funeral:

e001571750.jpg

and from the War Diaries 11th Battalion Canadian Garrison Regiment was detailed who the pall bearers were:

e001571733.jpg

Annette found the following on Marjorie Moberly at the Internet Archive:

Moberly - At the Military Hospital (temporary), Coquitlam, BC. of influenza, October 26th, 1918. Nursing Sister Marjorie E. Moberly, graduate of the Royal Jubilee Hospital, Vernon. Sister Moberly had a military funeral, the services being conducted by Rev. the Major C.C. Owen, and was buried in Mountain View Cemetery, Vancouver.

Source: The Canadian Nurse, Volume: 14, No 11 November 1918, page 1432 http://www.archive.org/details/canadiannurse111918cana

The "E" should be "B".

Finally, Annette found Nursing Sister Moberly listed in the Militia and Defence Forces lists for January 1919 (page 774):

Deaths - Nursing Sisters

Moberly, M.B., AMC, CEF, died, 26 November 1918*

*month is incorrect. It should be October.

militiaanddefenceforcej.jpg

So our question is do we have sufficient information to get in touch with the CWGC to see if they would accept her for commemoration?

Chris

are you able to get a copy of the death cert from the micro film?

Chris

Yes, I have a photocopy of the death certificate.

Chris

In that case you have more than enough info. Would you like IFCP to process the case for you? It will of course remain in your name

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris. Yes, I would appreciate that. If you pm me your email address I can forward you a copy of the death certificate and anything else you need.

Thanks!

Have have sent a pm to Chris. This should be a straight forward case

Cheers

Chris

Good detective work Chris from Canada, with Annette and Al ably assisting.

Thanks Chris from England for your prompt attention to the matter.

A very public thank you to Chris for bring IFCP's attention to this case; I can confirm that this case will be going forward

Cheers

Chris

The 3 group one defaulters appear to be missing from CWGC; anyone care to comment as I do not know what this means

Rev AM Harding appears to be missing from CWGC from the Chaplains list

Chris

Chris, group one defaulters were men who had been conscripted under the Military Service Act of Canada who had not shown up for duty. Whether this meant they had not attested or had attested but did not show up at the Regimental Depot, I'm uncertain. I assume there is some legal nicety here regarding whether they served with the C.E.F. but if attestation papers exist, I think this would suggest they were.

Thanks to Annette Fulford, she was able to find further information on Reverend Arthur Mullins Harding which suggest he served with the 21st Alberta Hussars, Canadian Militia and not the C.E.F. so this would explain non commemoration.

A very public thank you to Chris for bring IFCP's attention to this case; I can confirm that this case will be going forward

Cheers

Chris

Thank-you to both you and Terry Denham as well.

• 7 years later...

Hi Chris, it's been ages since I checked in on the status of this case. I'm guessing it was turned down?

I am checking with IFCP on this one Chris.

Chris

Basically the answer on this one was that there was no service record which backed up a statement on her veteran card that she was a civilian.

Chris 

• 1 month later...

Thanks Chris for checking up on this one.

It's a shame as her tombstone is flat on the ground and will one day fade away. At least she will be remembered for her service here.