Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Carson

carninyj

This soldier from the Loan, Cullybackey appears among the war dead of Cullybackey Presbyterian Church (Cuningham Memorial), and the family tombstone in the local cemetery gives the following details: 'killed in action at Sedan, 6th November 1918'. He is not listed, as far as I can ascertain, in either the CWGC list or the SDGW. Could anyone work out from the date what unit he might have been in? Would he have been a US soldier?

Any help appreciated.

Regards

carninyj

There appear to be only two casualties on the CWGC site who died around the date given a Sjt J.Carson,in the Canadian Infantry{BC Regt}son of a Mrs Sivoni of NYC;USA,who died 1/11/1918 & a John Fred Carson CFA;who is recorded as died 11/11/1918,A mystery?

Could anyone work out from the date what unit he might have been in? Would he have been a US soldier?

Almost certainly a US soldier.

How about Pte.John Carson, 315th Infantry Regiment, 79th Division from (meaning place of residence, not birth) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who was KIA Nov.5/6th 1918?

Dave.

CARSON, John Pythias, Oxford., NEW JERSEY, Corporal, KILLED IN ACTION

CARSON, John P., Brooklyn, NEW YORK, Corporal, KILLED IN ACTION

CARSON, John, Philadelphia, PENNSYLVANIA, Private, KILLED IN ACTION

CARSON, John Pythias, Oxford., NEW JERSEY, Corporal, KILLED IN ACTION

CARSON, John P., Brooklyn, NEW YORK, Corporal, KILLED IN ACTION

CARSON, John, Philadelphia, PENNSYLVANIA, Private, KILLED IN ACTION

John Pythias Carson ,76th F.A.R. - MIA Oct 4th 1918 (no known grave)

John.P.Carson ,305th Inf.Regt - MIA October 22nd 1918 (no known grave)

John Carson (the one I mention) -KIA 5th November 1918 (buried Meuse-Argonne Cemetery)

Though none of the references I used can be regarded as complete, the last John Carson is the most likely candidate as it's pretty unlikely that another US soldier of the same name was KIA that day. (The other two's names are inscribed on the screen wall to the missing in M.A. cemetery).

Dave.

Croon, My sources are Soldiers of the Great war. I would appreciate it you could tell me yours.

regards.

Tom.

Croon, My sources are Soldiers of the Great war. I would appreciate it you could tell me yours.

regards.

Tom.

Tom.

"Soldiers of the Great War" (same as yours - I find the lack of detail ,such as dates and units, a little annoying in this, don't you? - the Naval version is much more satisfying), Cemetery registers (which I've got in a digitised form) for ABMC cemeteries in Europe and casualty listings for various US states (no, I don't have a full set before you ask!).

Several regimental/divisional histories also list the casualties (some quite detailed) from their members, but on this occasion, I didn't refer to them.

Dave.

Excellent excellent stuff, my compliments.

Tom

I got a look at the Congregational Roll of Honour, a rather inaccurate record of Presbyterians who served in WW1. John Carson is on the register and is listed as being in the US army. It seems both suggestions I got from the Forum were spot on. Thanks.

Carninyj

I have just found an entry in the Ballymena Telegraph (jan 1919), one of the lesser local papers, that confirms that Pte John Carson was indeed in the 315th US Infantry. His brother was apparently Rfm Andrew Carson.

Thanks

carninyj