Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Etretat WW1 BEF & AEF Memorial

Nicolas G.

GoodEvening,

As some members may have noticed I was in some holidays. Even in Normandy, visiting Etretat and its cliffs, I was lucky enough to find some WW1 traces and that special memorial.The text is top of the cover market. So here is a postcard to forum members! The place was in army area under BEF command with mainly hospitals.Some of AEF.

Regards,

Nicolas

post-19-1090614786.jpg

Nicholas - saw the name Etretat and it rang the proverbial 'bell'. Here's someone who was treated but unfortunately died at No. 1 General Hospital in the area.

Rifleman James Lennox

Mr. James Lennox, 14 Edward Street, Ballymena, has been officially informed that his son, Rfn. James Lennox, Royal Irish Riles (Central Antrims) has died of wounds in No. 1 General Hospital, Etretat. Rfn. Lennox was wounded in the advance of the Ulster Division at Thiepval after which he was reported as dangerously ill. He enlisted in October 1914, prior to which he was in the employment of the Phoenix Weaving Co. Ltd.

September 1 1916

Regards Des

Regarding US Army Camps in this part of France during World War 2.I noticed that the camps were all named after US cigarettes.

I would think this was done for secrecy but was this the practice in the Great War?

Regards

Frank East