Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry officers, 1915

high wood

This photograph of the officers of A Squadron, Lincolnshire Yeomanry was taken at Lowestoft in the summer of 1915. Fortunately it is named on the back, unfortunately not all the names are legible. Does anyone have any record of the names of the officers who served in A Squadron?

Back Row. C Wright, C Wilson, F.H. Berkley

Front Row, Torr, N.C. Cocburn, A.V. Lobbin?

or after some initial googling.

2nd Lieut Charles Wright, Captain George Gibson Wilson, Lieut Fred H Berkley

2nd lieut John Harold Torre Torr, Major Nathaniel Clayton Cockburn, A.V ?????

I cannot decipher the last signature or find a medal index card that is anywhere near the ball park.

post-6480-0-24025000-1321195167.jpg

post-6480-0-37042600-1321195264.jpg

post-6480-0-10869000-1321195351.jpg

Superb, thank you.

It seems the he was occupied elsewhere during the great War

Medal card of Lobban, A V

Corps Regiment No Rank

Lincolnshire Regiment Second Lieutenant

Palamcottah Light Infantry Lieutenant

Simon

Aargh - didn't try that spelling.

Hmmm...The MIC on Ancestry has;

2nd Lt - Lincolnshire Reg

Lt - 1/c (or I/C?) Com Repat POW Camp Canterbury

Date of entry: Egypt 27/10/1915

Request for medal comes from GVC(?) Kent Force 1919 (is this police?)

YEOMANRY.

The undermentioned 2nd Lts. to be acting

Lts.—

A. V. Lobban. 9th Apr. 1917

MACHINE GUN CORPS (!NP.).

Lt. A. V. Lobban (Yeo., T.F.) ceases to

be empld. with the Corps. 30 July 1918.

http://www.london-ga...pplements/12113

Actually a search for Lobban brings up mainly entries regarding his movements.

Thank you, excellent stuff. I would still love to know what his initials stand for. I cannot find him on FreeBMD and as his name appears to be Scottish in origin I wonder if he was born North of the border.

Finally!

Lincolnshire; Private Arthur Victor Lobban,

from the Lanarkshire Yeomanry, to be

Second Lieutenant. Dated 8th June, 1915

On 1901 Scottish census, aged 8. Born Inverness. Parents Alexander and Catherine. Address: Claremout Monument Rd, Ayr.

Name:Arthur Victor LobbanDesignation:ArchitectBorn:20 June 1892Died:1970Bio Notes:Arthur Victor Lobban was born on 20 June 1892 and was articled to James Kennedy Hunter of Ayr in 1910, studying at Ayr Academy Continuation School. He joined the armed forces at the outbreak of the First World War, serving in Egypt and Palestine, but briefly returned to Hunter's office on his demobilisation in 1919, leaving after eight weeks to attend classes in civil engineering at the Royal Technical College, Glasgow.

His subsequent career was spent in various county council offices. In 1921 he joined the Dumbartonshire Education Committee in Glasgow as an architectural assistant under the Master of Works A M Samson, working on a new school in Helensburgh and on numerous alterations and reconstructions to existing schools which had suffered neglect during the war years. During the years 1922 to 1925 he attended evening classes in architecture at the Technical College. He moved to Gloucester in 1925 to work under the Gloucestershire County Education Architect, R S Phillips, and moved again in August 1930 to enter the Hertfordshire County Surveyor's Office as senior assistant. He was admitted LRIBA late the following year, his proposers being Hugh Patrick Guarin Maule of London, his connection with whom is unknown, and Duncan Walter Clark, president of the Essex, Cambridge & Hertfordshire Society of Architects. His nomination papers are accompanied by reference letters from his former employers, Hunter stating that he was a 'diligent student … most trustworthy … his moral character is very good', and Samson describing him as 'an ideal colleague, gentlemanly in manner, fruitful in suggestion, deliberate in judgment, and always reliable, obliging and tactful', and 'systematic and … thorough' in his efforts to keep up to date with new developments in school architecture and construction.

In 1933 he moved to Ipswich where he joined the staff of the East Suffolk County Council architect, E J Symcox, as chief assistant. He acted as Symcox's deputy until 1945 when he was promoted to the newly created post of Deputy County Architect. He was elected FRIBA on 9 December 1952, his proposers being E J Symcox, Martin J Slater and J A Sherman.

Lobban died between April and June 1970, his death being registered in this period.

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=205172

Fantastic picture for me as I am presently researching Major N.C.Cockburn who was 2nd I.C. of 1/1 L.Y Oct. 1915 - Aug. 1917. He was wounded in the right ankle during the attack by U38 on the troopship 'Mercian' in the Med. while transporting the Regiment to Egypt (killing 23 troops and wounding 55.) This and other 'old injuries' seems to have led to him requesting (and being granted) to be taken out of the field in 1917 and posted to the reserve. He was 51 at this point and apparently feeling the strain of front line duties. In 1918 he was M.I.D. - London Gazette 12th Jan.1918. He fully retired from the army in 1921(when he was 55) back to Harmiston Hall near Lincoln and his 5000 acres estate. First commissioned in 1901, he had resigned his commission in Aug.1913 but re-joined the colours on the outbreak of war. Hope this is of interest and if anybody has any more pictures or information on Major Cockburn or this Regiment I would love to see or hear it !!!

• 3 years later...

Out of interest, I am training to be a guide in Lincoln Cathedral. In the Soldiers Chapel, the carpet on the floor is a memorial to 5 sets of Individuals/brothers who died in the Great War. The emblem in the top right is in memory of the brothers Major R Wright (33?) and Lt C Wright (28) (in the picture above) who both died when their troopship was sunk off Palestine 29 Nov 1917. I have tried in vain to ascertain the troopship they were on but no joy. They are buried side by side in Ramleh War Cemetery. (Correction dated 8 Aug 2019 - location of their death is incorrect.  See posts below. Ken M ) 

Cheers

Ken M

Edited by kenericm
Incorrect information displayed and new information come to light

Major Robert Wright(33) and his younger brother Lt Charles Wright (28)are recorded on the war memorial in the church at North Willingham,near Market Rasen,Lincolnshire.Further details and photo vide Google.Inscription states they died together in Palestine,no mention of vessel.

Fantastic picture for me as I am presently researching Major N.C.Cockburn who was 2nd I.C. of 1/1 L.Y Oct. 1915 - Aug. 1917. He was wounded in the right ankle during the attack by U38 on the troopship 'Mercian' in the Med. while transporting the Regiment to Egypt (killing 23 troops and wounding 55.) ... Hope this is of interest and if anybody has any more pictures or information on Major Cockburn or this Regiment I would love to see or hear it !!!

This was indeed of interest. One of our local casualties is Francis Edlington who lost his life in the attack on 3rd November. I've just spent half an hour trying to understand the casualty figures, without much luck. CWGC lists 29 members of the Lincs Yeomanry who died on 3rd November. Having looked up about a dozen, most of them, including Edlington, are listed on SDGW as 'died - at sea'. There was one 'died of wounds' and another (Raphael Moss) 'killed in action'. I read elsewhere that most of the crew and some of the Yeomanry left in lifeboats during the attack and not all were recovered, However, if the majority of the 29 casualties were victims of shelling, why are most of them recorded as 'died'?

Of the 29 who died on 3rd November, only one was buried at Oran, (James Lambert Gooch). Why was he singled out not to be buried at sea? There were a further 7 Yeomanry burials on the following days and weeks, the last being Serjeant Elias Field on 22nd December. He is also recorded on SDGW as dying at sea! This gives a total of 36 deaths resulting from the U Boat attack.

Does anyone have a definitive explanation of what happened?

......in memory of the brothers Major R Wright (33?) and Lt C Wright (28) (in the picture above) who both died when their troopship was sunk off Palestine 29 Nov 1917. I have tried in vain to ascertain the troopship they were on but no joy. They are buried side by side in Ramleh War Cemetery.

Are you 100% sure the Wright brothers died when a troop ship was sunk? They are listed in the Grantham Journal of Saturday 8th December 1917 as killed in action; the Lincolnshire Yeomanry were heavily engaged in the battles in the Judean Hills outside Jerusalem at this time. Ramleh is a long way inland, I would have expected anyone to have died at sea and washed up to be buried in a coastal cemetery.

There is a list of all Transports (Troopships), Hospital Ships and Storeships in Statistics 1914-20

There is no record of any troopship being sunk in the Med on 29th Nov 1917. The nearest would be HMT Aragon on 30th Dec 1917 off Alexandria (sunk by mine). The next nearest was 6 months earlier HMT Cameronian on 2nd June 1917. 50 miles off Alexandria (sunk by torpedo). There is no record of any Hospital ship being sunk on this date either. Hospital Ship Goorkha is the only remote possibility on 17th Oct 1917 off Malta (many miles away) which resulted in no casualties (damaged by mine).

MG

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the late reply I forgot about this post until now as I am re-researching for Lincoln Cathedral Service Chapels. I was in fact mislead. The Wright brothers died in battle north of Jerusalem, gathered from the article via a link from Heritage Plus above (I thank you).

I shall correct my script to do them both full justice.

KM

• 2 years later...

I have read this topic with much interest, as I am descendant of the wrights.  I do have a picture of the graves at Ramleh if anyone is interested or would like it for any reason. I do have some information, but probably not much more than you have already researched.

9F74D835-BA9A-49BC-A16B-00D88F76B760.jpeg

Edited by Guest

• 5 months later...
On 18/11/2011 at 20:57, rolyboy11 said:

Fantastic picture for me as I am presently researching Major N.C.Cockburn who was 2nd I.C. of 1/1 L.Y Oct. 1915 - Aug. 1917. He was wounded in the right ankle during the attack by U38 on the troopship 'Mercian' in the Med. while transporting the Regiment to Egypt (killing 23 troops and wounding 55.) This and other 'old injuries' seems to have led to him requesting (and being granted) to be taken out of the field in 1917 and posted to the reserve. He was 51 at this point and apparently feeling the strain of front line duties. In 1918 he was M.I.D. - London Gazette 12th Jan.1918. He fully retired from the army in 1921(when he was 55) back to Harmiston Hall near Lincoln and his 5000 acres estate. First commissioned in 1901, he had resigned his commission in Aug.1913 but re-joined the colours on the outbreak of war. Hope this is of interest and if anybody has any more pictures or information on Major Cockburn or this Regiment I would love to see or hear it !!!

He was a very highly regarded big game hunter, writing a number of very important journals. Fascinating person. See this link https://nmnh.typepad.com/fieldbooks/2012/12/counting-camels.html

Mates,

I notice you blokes are good at finding officers from this Regt, can you help find these three officers I am having trouble with?

All three served in the Camel Corps or at lest recorded in the units but little else, spelling as per the records?

Horton    James ?        2/Lt    possibly 10Co? ICC shown in raid at Sena Redoubt 11-8-17 possibly Ex 1/1 Lincoln Yeo? & CTC

Whitelock    WP        2/Lt    Tos 10Co dates? to hosp 8-18 shown to CTU 9-18 Ex 1/1 Lincoln Yeo

Also this man which I have some details

Tyrrell     Harry Ernest        Lt    Tos 10Co 2-17 (OC Lewis MG sect with Sgt Jimmy James & L/Cpl Frank Ballance) shown Rory Moore's news letter Ex 1/1 Lincoln Yeo to Capt Punjabis Indian Army & Punjabis Waziristan Field Force 1919

I have at lest 67 men from the Lincolnshire Yeomanry in the 10th Company ICC during the war?

Cheers

S.B

Mates,

Along with these officers I have some gaps with some soldiers shown on the 10th Company Nom roll from the Lincoln Yeo?

Peatman    RG    1858    Pte    Tos 10Co ICC Ex 1/1 Lincoln Yeo (1858) shown 10Co nom roll

Richardson    H    2523    Pte    Tos 10Co ICC Ex 1/1 Lincoln Yeo (2523) shown in 10Co nom roll

Richardson    A    2821    Pte    Tos 10Co ICC Ex 1/1 Lincoln Yeo (2821) shown in 10Co nom roll

I could not find them on the Medal index Cards?

Any ideas

S.B

Here is a photo of the original wooden grave markers for the Wright brothers killed in November 1917 along with the stone tablet in the church.

Nth Willingham (3).JPG

Nth Willingham (5).JPG

• 3 months later...

Further to IPT ( Lt Gen ) on AV Lobban. Arthur ( known as Sam ) was my Great Uncle. I have documentation that he was injured, confirmed by letter from troop Sgt. ( X- Ray shows shoulder ) when he had been detached, possibly to Western Front. In hospital or when convalescing he formed strong friendship with two other injured and a nurse. They received the Empire Land Grant and went to Canada. Owing to his injury he could not swing an axe so could not help break the virgin land. He returned to Scotland to resume his architect training. He left behind the love of his life and the letter I have concerning her transferring engagement to another of the party is poignant. He was clearly numerate and may have had pay duties as he left a 1914 Field Cash Box. Letters suggest that he was discharged in Canterbury and given a bicycle to return to Ayr. The yeomanry had many bicycles, the open air was a better option to trains with flu pandemic, and discharged soldiers had very low transport priority.

Sam settled in Suffolk and worked on many school builds using early computer assisted design and County Hall in London. In Pin Mill Sam sailed and trained many young people to become competant and competitive sailors. He returned to Scotland regularly by DH Rapide with his golf clubs. 

During WW2 Sam commanded a platoon of HG guarding the river. I have his range card with reference points and a report of a HG exercise similar to an episode of Dad's Army. A local lady councilor behaves as a prototype "Mrs Bucket".

The cash box contained many photos of Egypt and letters from my Great Grand Father interpreting the inscriptions in Greek on various artefacts.Sam had found in the desert.

I attended Sam's funeral. A beer mug presented by his sailing club sits on my mantle with Sam's signature glazed into it and identical to that on the back of the Lincolnshire Yeomanry 1915 officers photo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2014 at 13:19, nfh249 said:

Are you 100% sure the Wright brothers died when a troop ship was sunk? They are listed in the Grantham Journal of Saturday 8th December 1917 as killed in action; the Lincolnshire Yeomanry were heavily engaged in the battles in the Judean Hills outside Jerusalem at this time. Ramleh is a long way inland, I would have expected anyone to have died at sea and washed up to be buried in a coastal cemetery.

You are correct.  I have amended my documents in view of the information provided on this post. Thank you.