Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Egbert Lewis Somerset Light Infantry

kingsnorth36

I Am researching captain Egbert Lewis, died March 8th 1916 and buried at Basra. He is listed on the CWGC as Edgar Lewis. He was with Prince Albert's Somerset Light Infantry 4th Territorials. They were with the 37th Indian Division who I believe at Dujaila, could Captain Lewis have been killed in this battle?

I cannot see many references to the Somersets at Dujaila, plenty to the Manchesters and native units.

Any clues appreciated.

K36

1/4 SLI were with 37 Indian Brigade of 3 Indian Division at Duhalia for the battle of 8 March 1916 (LLT shows that formation link for the SLI).

I agree that no link to 1/4 SLI has been made in some of the acounts but 37 Bde/3 Div IS referred to as being there. A War Diary at Kew for 1/4 is available under WO95/5180 (even that shows it to be with 14 Ind Div !)and I will see if I can get a look at it shortly.

Sotonmate

The Regimental History has a couple of pages (including mention of Lewis). PM me an e-mail address and I'll scan it for you.

K36

Read the War Dairy for the period of Duhalia yesterday. The Captain is shown as killed on the 8th March 1916 with 1/6 SLI. I have 3 pages of Diary,1 map and 2 pages of report following the battle. They're yours when you PM your e-mail.

Later in the day wandering among the Library and noticed four volumes on the Mesopotamia campaign,chose Vol 3 and by luck found this battle. Another series of blunders by our Management!

Thanks for asking the question,I would otherwise not necessarily have known of this specific battle.

Sotonmate

K36

Read the War Dairy for the period of Duhalia yesterday. The Captain is shown as killed on the 8th March 1916 with 1/6 SLI. I have 3 pages of Diary,1 map and 2 pages of report following the battle. They're yours when you PM your e-mail.

Later in the day wandering among the Library and noticed four volumes on the Mesopotamia campaign,chose Vol 3 and by luck found this battle. Another series of blunders by our Management!

Thanks for asking the question,I would otherwise not necessarily have known of this specific battle.

Sotonmate

Excellent thanks pm sent

• 7 years later...

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Somerset/BathCollege.html

Captain, 1st/4th Battalion, Somerset Light Infantry. Died 8 March 1916. No known grave. Commemorated at BASRA MEMORIAL, Iraq. Panel 12.

Extract from The Bath College Register 1878-1909, printed for the Old Bathonians in 1948:

"Lewis, Egbert.
O.T.C. (Cpl.). Capt., 1st/4th Battn., P.A. Somerset L.I., 1914: 
Served in India, 1914 and Mesopotamia. Killed in action, 8th March, 1916, during the assault on the Dujailah Redoubt in the attempt to relieve Kut."