Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre war TF. Were their enrolments recorded?

steve fuller

HAve been looking around the net for while now and cant seem to find this info, so Im hoping ...

Did the TF do muster rolls, enrolment records or anything that could help me pin a soldier down in any way?

And if they did, where do I look please? :rolleyes:

Steve

Hi Steve.

I have several service papers of men that served in the 1/5th Buffs T.F. the first page of them is their TERRITORIAL FORCE Attestation Form, Army Form E. 501, the rest of the papers are the same as those of men that signed up for the duration of the war etc, the papers that I have were obtained from Kew.

David

Presumably a list of officers/OR's at embodiment would show this. You'd need a handy unit history of course, that's where I've found mine.

Righto

David; Thanks - sounds just what Im looking for but his papers arent available :(

Simon; thanks, I know theres a history of the 1/5th Beds in progress, so will have a look around for whats available until then.

Cheers guys

Steve

The details you are looking for would have been recorded in the Army Book 220 (AB 220), which were kept at the company Drill Halls and recorded several important details that were required for the general administration of a unit.

Sadly, the vast majority of these have been destroyed over the years in various clearouts that occurred periodically.

You could try local newspapers - lots of stuff of about the local Terriers there (socials, shooting amtches, etc) plus things like lists of men mobilised, etc.

Jock Bruce

Thank you Andrew and Jock. Havent been to the local papers yet (distance) but will definitely look when I do! Sooner the better too :huh:

Cheers guys

Steve

Hi Steve,

You could try and look at Army Lists prior to 1914 as these do list TF officers. These could be at local libraries and of course, the PRO.

As for other ranks that may be difficult. For numbers and strengths you could look at the minutes of the local TF county association. For instance the minutes of the London TF County Association are in the London Metropolitan Archives.

Another possible source is the regimental magerzine of the Old Comrades association if your unit has one, these often exist in local libraries or regimental museums.

Finally, you could post the soldier you are looking for to see if there are any resident experts who may be able to help.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for the suggestions; as it goes Im off to Luton archives at some point anyway, and the Regmnt musuem is in Luton too.

Worth a go anyway. Cheers

Steve