Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

when did

andy 1

Late 50's early 60's?

but i'm sure someone will tell you the exact date.

might have beenlate 60's?

Mandy

Hi there,

I got this from the National Army Museum website:

Conscription was first introduced in the British Army in 1916, and ended in 1919. It was re-introduced in 1939 and replaced with National Service in 1949. National Service ended in 1960, and the last National Servicemen left the Army in 1963. Since that time, the Army has been composed entirely of volunteers.

Hope this is of help

rgds

doogal

A Pity that it didnt continue if some of Last nights Herberts are anything to go by!I wonder how well they would have coped had it been for Real????? :(

I can remember a National Serviceman leaving our Regiment in 1964.

John

I did read only the other day, that this year (2004) was the 40th anniversary of the last of the National Servicemen to leave the army (not including those who signed on)

dave.

I did read only the other day, that this year (2004) was the 40th anniversary of the last of the National Servicemen to leave the army (not including those who signed on)

dave.

One of those thing that depends upon your source!

My source, "All Bull: The National Servicemen", by B S Johnson says May 1963.

The actual last National Serviceman to leave the army depends upon how you define your terms. 23819209 Private Fred Turner, Army Catering Corps, attached 18/18 Hussars. was discharged on 7th May 1963. However, Lieutenant Richard Vaughan, of the Royal Army Pay Corps, left his unit in Germany on 4th May 1963, but had to travel back to England and was not officially discharged until 13th May.

Mind you I expect that both would have been long gone if they could have been discharged for "being naughty", like the Brown twin in "Bad Lads Army". I know that they would have had the living daylights kicked out of them if they had tried!

Sad to see such arrested adolescents in that programme: men in their early- mid-twenties acting like spoilt children. (And so much for 'bad' lads given their CVs.)

Moral fibre and self-discipline have fallen out of favour, but some of those lads (similar age to myself so won't call them boys!) appear to have developed defective personalities at the age of 12 and remained at that stage for the past decade or so and no doubt lived exactly the same lives - save for more beer and skunk - as they did at that age in their own little towns: as evidenced when confronted with firm controlling of their aggressive actions, they cannot cope without the feeling of being in control and appear most insecure; perhaps the pitfall of a virtually consequence free environment?

If were really the '50s, the NCOs would have suggested that their oppos deal with them one night to put them in their place - bleach bath? - or else they would have spent time in The Glass House. I was chatting to someone who joined the Navy in the mid-50s, and he was saying that most of the instructors were WW2 veterans and they had very little time for people who would neither go along with the system - which always wins - or otherwise acted up.

Richard