Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI uniform identification help

florigander

6323708713_1f69054c2f_b.jpg

Hello! I am hoping that someone can help me identify this uniform. I believe that it is a WWI uniform (or right before), but I'm really not sure and I haven't been able to come up with anything in my research. I believe that the next picture is the same man later in life, and he is wearing an upside-down horseshoe pin on his bowtie. I am also wondering if this has some sort of WWI significance? Following that picture, I have his military records that I have found so far. They are hard to read.

6324237100_783568b4f6_b.jpg

6324237266_778af4df33_b.jpg

One other thing: it is possible that the picture is a different person, Alexander, who was part of the Polar Bear campaign. Or, this could be Alfred, who was only in the police force, and was never in the military. But like I said, I was thinking that this was closer to WWI territory. Or, this could always be two different people.

Thanks for any insight into these pictures!

• 1 month later...

Hi florigander,

Your soldier is wearing standard US issue uniform of the WW1 period, I suspect however that the photo is taken between 1911 (when the Montana Peak campaign hat was adopted) and his discharge which appears to be 1914, if I am reading your documentation correctly. The later photograph which I believe is the same person is interesting with the horseshoe pin on his bow tie. The same device is used as a symbol for the military trade of shoeing smith or farrier and is worn the same way with the points down, however I am a little doubtful that it has a military significance as it is not usual for veterans to wear 'trade' badges, rather they wear regimental or divisional devices and is generally worn on the lapel. It is possible but not likely, more probably a good luck pin that has turned around by accident.

regards

khaki