Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St George's Gazette

NorFus

Hi,

I believe the St George's Gazette was the magazine of the Northumberland Fusiliers and that is all i know about it.Does anyone know if it might contain citations or any other information about soldiers who were awarded the Military Medal during WW1 ? I am trying to find out what my grandmothers brother did to be awarded one in 1916 while serving with the Fusiliers.Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve

Hi,

I believe the St George's Gazette was the magazine of the Northumberland Fusiliers and that is all i know about it.Does anyone know if it might contain citations or any other information about soldiers who were awarded the Military Medal during WW1 ? I am trying to find out what my grandmothers brother did to be awarded one in 1916 while serving with the Fusiliers.Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have a full run of the St George's Gazette for 1914-19, so if you give me his name, battalion etc., then I can look. I don't think however that MM citations are included. Your local press is as good as anything for that kind of info.

Robert

Hi Steve,

I have a full run of the St George's Gazette for 1914-19, so if you give me his name, battalion etc., then I can look. I don't think however that MM citations are included. Your local press is as good as anything for that kind of info.

Robert

Hi Robert,

That would be fantastic,i have only recently heard of the gazette and wondered if it have any info.His name was William Dobson Pattison 2283 5th Battalion N.F.His name was in the London Gazette 10th Oct 1916.He was killed in action 11th April 1918 during the Battle of the Lys.

Steve

Hi Steve,

William Dobson Pattison is mentioned in a list of those who won the M.M. in the St.G.G. of 31st October, 1916, page 195: "2283 Pte W.D.Pattison".

I'm afraid that the 'battalion notes' in the magazine had virtually ceased to exist, the majority of this issue is taken up by a dozen or so pages of those killed, wounded or missing and a couple of pages of Honours and Awards. He does not get any individual mention in the gazette for 1918, although I am sure that he will be included in one of the many casualty lists

I do know that the 5th Bn were involved in some very heavy fighting in April 1918 when he was killed and were involved on the Somme in September, 1916. Hopefully someone may have a copy of the War Diary which may reveal more information regarding the award of the M.M.

It may be worth consulting the 'Illustrated Chronicle' published in Newcastle, which may contain details and a photo of him for when he was awarded the M.M., you will probably need to look from July to October, 1916, to see if he receives a mention. Also have a look around April/May 1918 when he was killed.

Sorry that I cannot help further.

Good luck, Robert

Hi Robert,

thank you very much for doing that look up,the information is most helpful.I do have a copy of the War Diary for the period when he may have won his medal but there is no mention of it.I have started to search the local papers in the library,its a slow task,just doing a few weeks at a time.Thanks for the tip about the Illustrated Chronicle, i will see if the library has it on microfiche,and as you say will check also for after his death.Thanks again for your help.cheers

Steve

Thanks for the tip about the Illustrated Chronicle, i will see if the library has it on microfiche,and as you say will check also for after his death.Thanks again for your help.cheers

Steve

Newcastle Library Illustrated Chronicle is contained in large bound volumes. Definitely worth a good review. Microfilm of the Newcastle Journal and Evening Chronicle are also available.

The staff on the 6th Floor will be able to help.

5/2238 Pte W.D.Pattison enlisted aroung the end of August beginning of September 1914 and was renumbered 240371 in 1917.

• 2 months later...

I am trying to research what happened to George Richardson, 3rd Tyneside Scottish, number 22/1426, who died "of his wounds" on 29th March 1916. I understand there may be some information in the St George Gazette. Can anyone help me please.

Hi Robert,

My great uncle Pte 3-8319 Francis Henry Devlin, X Company, 1st Northumberland Fuiliers was killed in action 14th July 1916, aged 18 yrs, at Bazentin Le Grand, Somme. His autograph (recorded whilst on guard duty at Benwell Pumping Station August 1914) is elsewhere on this site.

His MIC says he went abroad in June 1915. I had sight of an October 1915 article in a newspaper from one of his sisters last year which stated he had been wounded at Ypres in February 1915 and after some time in hospital in the Manchester area "was back abroad again". This clearly does not tie in with MIC information.

Could I ask for a check of the St Georges Gazette to see if he was in fact wounded in about February 1915 - I appreciate there is a time lag between the incident occurring and details being printed in the St Georges Gazette.

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve Y.

PS. As a side issue can anyone give me an estimate of his date of enlistment from his service number? He was born 27th July 1897 so I think he must have given a false date of birth.

Hi Robert,

My great uncle Pte 3-8319 Francis Henry Devlin, X Company, 1st Northumberland Fuiliers was killed in action 14th July 1916, aged 18 yrs, at Bazentin Le Grand, Somme. His autograph (recorded whilst on guard duty at Benwell Pumping Station August 1914) is elsewhere on this site.

His MIC says he went abroad in June 1915. I had sight of an October 1915 article in a newspaper from one of his sisters last year which stated he had been wounded at Ypres in February 1915 and after some time in hospital in the Manchester area "was back abroad again". This clearly does not tie in with MIC information.

Could I ask for a check of the St Georges Gazette to see if he was in fact wounded in about February 1915 - I appreciate there is a time lag between the incident occurring and details being printed in the St Georges Gazette.

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve Y.

PS. As a side issue can anyone give me an estimate of his date of enlistment from his service number? He was born 27th July 1897 so I think he must have given a false date of birth.

Hi Steve,

I have checked the St.G.G. and have found an entry in the March,1915 issue:

Under "Wounded" is listed: Private 8319 F.Devlin

Unfortunately this is all that I can tell you. Have you tried for his service papers on Ancestry?

Hope that this is of some help.

Best wishes, Robert

PS I can't help with the service number thing, although I am sure that someone will have an answer.

I am trying to research what happened to George Richardson, 3rd Tyneside Scottish, number 22/1426, who died "of his wounds" on 29th March 1916. I understand there may be some information in the St George Gazette. Can anyone help me please.

Hi Jaypee,

I can only confirm that he is included under the heading 'Died of Wounds' in the 29th April,1916 issue of the St.G.G.: No 1426 Pte G.Richardson.

Unfortunately there are no battalion notes for the 22nd Bn in the Gazette, which may have made a mention of him being wounded. I suspect that your best hopes are:

1) The battalion war diary around the time of his death, or

2) The local newspapers from the area in which he(his family) was living at the time of his death.

Hope that this helps.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hi Steve,

I have checked the St.G.G. and have found an entry in the March,1915 issue:

Under "Wounded" is listed: Private 8319 F.Devlin

Unfortunately this is all that I can tell you. Have you tried for his service papers on Ancestry?

Hope that this is of some help.

Best wishes, Robert

PS I can't help with the service number thing, although I am sure that someone will have an answer.

Robert,

Thanks very much for your speedy reply which opens up another general query - If I had the computer skills I would probably put this in as a new thread!

Presuming that the St Georges Gazette wounded entry refers to an incident on active service then my great uncles 1914/15 Star MIC entry stating he went abroad 27th June 1915 is incorrect. Unfortunately his service record has not survived. Do you know if the Regimental Museum have any records that might assist?

On a general point - Does anyone have any evidence of other similar mistakes on MIC's?

Steve Y.

Robert,

Thanks very much for your speedy reply which opens up another general query - If I had the computer skills I would probably put this in as a new thread!

Presuming that the St Georges Gazette wounded entry refers to an incident on active service then my great uncles 1914/15 Star MIC entry stating he went abroad 27th June 1915 is incorrect. Unfortunately his service record has not survived. Do you know if the Regimental Museum have any records that might assist?

On a general point - Does anyone have any evidence of other similar mistakes on MIC's?

Steve Y.

Hi Steve,

I doubt that the Museum will be able to help, but it may be worth a quick phone call--you could be lucky!!?

Regarding his MIC, yes, there are many mistakes to be found on MIC's but generally they are pretty accurate. I had an officer trio which had his date of entry to France as 1917, in actual fact he had served at Gallipoli as an officer in the same regiment and had been badly wounded. His date of entry to France in 1917 relates to when he rejoined his unit in France upon recovering from his wounds. He was killed before the end of 1917. Fortunately his family realised the error and claimed his 1914/15 Star in 1927!!

Another MIC shows a date of death as February instead of November--I suppose a misinterpretation between 2 and 11--that old 'human error' thing again!!!

So I suppose that your G.U. may have been wounded in February and returned to France in June upon recovering? Someone then misunderstood the entry on his service record and entered this date upon his MIC?

We may never know for sure, but I can't see a better explanation. The local newspaper at Whitehaven? may produce more information, either around the time he was wounded or around the time he was killed--it has to be worth a look.

Best wishes, Robert

Robert,

Thanks again for your help. I think I have exhausted all the local newspapers but I may get in contact with the Museum at Alnwick in the summer.

After I posted yesterdays message I spent a couple of hours checking MIC cards around 3-8319 to see if anyone was discharged KR 392 and found 3-8320 John George Nixon so cross referenced him to SWB list and found his date of enlistment was 17th May 1914. On that basis it appears my great uncle was a pre war Special Reservist.

I started another thread to see if anyone can tell me what the pre war lower age limit was for Special Reserve enlistments.

Steve.

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I am researching my husbands family history and find that his Great Uncle, Richard Holden no 24/865 served with 24th (Tyneside Irish) Bn, Northumberland Fusilliers and was MIA 01.07.1916 with "D" coy. I am unable to find any service records-probably destroyed during WW11 but I have found that he is mentioned in St Georges Gazette. Does this give any more information.

Have I got the right info that he was with 103 Infantry Brigade and was west of Dernancourt-Albert Railwaypost-96884-0-80189300-1447087998_thumb.j

Hello,

I am researching my husbands family history and find that his Great Uncle, Richard Holden no 24/865 served with 24th (Tyneside Irish) Bn, Northumberland Fusilliers and was MIA 01.07.1916 with "D" coy. I am unable to find any service records-probably destroyed during WW11 but I have found that he is mentioned in St Georges Gazette. Does this give any more information.

Have I got the right info that he was with 103 Infantry Brigade and was west of Dernancourt-Albert Railwayattachicon.gifKeith Genes111.jpg

Hi L/D,

You are correct in you assumption that the 24th Bn was in the 103rd Infantry Brigade.

According to John Sheen: "The 103rd Brigade was deployed with all four battalions abreast from right to left, next to Becourt Wood was the 27th Bn, then the 24th and 26th Bns, while in a position on the northern side of the Albert-Bapaume road was the 25th Bn."

Unfortunately the St Georges Gazette includes no further information.

It may be worth your while to purchase a copy of the 'Tyneside Irish' by John Sheen, because it will give you more in depth information regarding your relative's time with the battalion.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Thank you Robert.

Why he was with the Tyneside Irish is a mystery as there is no Irish connection in the family.

Heather

Thank you Robert.

Why he was with the Tyneside Irish is a mystery as there is no Irish connection in the family.

Heather

Hi Heather,

Possibly he was working in the Newcastle area at the time and just joined up with his work mates--I don't believe that it was obligatory to be Irish to join the Tyneside Irish.

Robert

Thank you Robert.

Heather

Not uncommon during those heady days - but he does appear in various sources. The address I have for him was 16 Ashmore Tce, Wheatley Hill and he certainly wasn't working in Newcastle and was probably working at one of the local Collieries, before enlsting at Deafhill Colliery, Trimdon, along with others on the 10th November 1914. Note that he can also be found in the following;-

Irish Heroes

Soldiers Died in the Great War

St.Georges Gazette

The Daily Chronicle,

The Absent Voters List

The Enquiry List

War Graves Register

Not forgetting the NF Medal Rolls

• 1 year later...

I wonder if anyone can help me fill in a few gaps on my Grandfather's service before, during and after WW1.  From the research, photos and letters from the trenches that we still have in the family we have been able to ascertain that he may have enroled into the army around 1912 when he was 18 in the Royal Leicestershire Regiment.  We have a photo of him in India wearing what appears to be an army uniform.  From there we have copies of his notebooks from Strensall School of Musketry where he identifies himself as Sergeant R F Bell, 16,397, in the Leicestershire Regiment 5th TRB from 11th April 1917 to 5th May 1917 and again from 15th November to 1st December 1918 where he identifies himself as  Sgt R F Bell, 104,217 51st (G) Bn N.F. - Lewis Gun Course.  The letters from the trenches are from April 1918 to June 1918 - where we have managed to ascertain that he fought in the Battle of the Lys and was the only 'gun' to return, having taken around 16 (?) days to fight his way back from the frontline with a Royal Scots Officer - at this time he was a Anti Aircraft Lewis Gunner - althought this quickly 'went west' as the Germans advanced in April 1918.

We have found him appearing in a group photo in the book by Martin Sheen - Tyneside Irish 24th, 25th,26th,& 27th (Service) Battalions of Northumberland Fusiliers - page 174 - "This group comprises the veterans of the Brigade, mostly non-commissioned officers specially chosen for training purposes" - we know from his letters that he was involved with training the American and Canadian troops.

We also have a photo of him in the hospital uniform at Colchester Hospital and my Father recalled that he had been buried alive in the trenches at some point suffering a spinal injury, but as soon as he could he discharged himself and returned to the frontline.

I was incredibly excited to read of the St George's Gazette as all other lines of investigation including investigations at Kew - have turned up a blank - aside from his medal cards.  Think his records must have been destroyed along with many others in the 2nd WW.  He did service in the Middlesex Homeguard in WW2.

Really would like to know if he did enrol with the Army at 18 and where he served from then until we can next pinpoint his service in France - April 1918.  We do know that he was in France in June 1919 where he was helping men demobilize back to the UK (We have his testimonial  letter).

Any help that anyone can give me would be really appreciated - it has taken me a couple of years to come back to researching my Grandfather's service, as sadly my father died in 2015 - I was doing this research for him, but I now feel I am able to continue in the hope that I can fill in a few more of the gaps.

Thank you in advance.

Nina

India.jpg.30f2b9426cddcf0f6089e23ae3f60d79.jpg

59db5c4d82f72_RegBellPhoto.jpg.1a8889864ee2c402481474b9fbe1a263.jpg

59db5c09994fc_BellRFGunnersBook(2).jpg.8064f6214905aa70fc3424f9ea7d7892.jpg

59db5c63e0397_Hospitalphoto.jpg.fd71610ae0fa6f83302059e502280984.jpg

BellRFMMdocument.jpg.6cbb19ee11d6f2ac6f4884f45df2c26f.jpg

254.thumb.JPG.b61d08563530264704bd29071b28b27f.JPG

59db5cdc0655e_dischargetestimonialRFBell.jpg.c21808a51961716491d29c1fab14b129.jpg

Hi,

I’m sure that Graham Stewart the forum NF expert will be along to address your queries.

Just to point out a typo you may wish to amend - John Sheen was the author of the Tyneside Irish history you mention rather than Martin Sheen (the actor!). John is a member here - Tyneside Chinaman - although I haven’t seen him post for a long while. He co authored the companion history of the Tyneside Scottish with Graham Stewart.

Good Luck 

Steve Y

My apologies all round on the author error - must have been in movie mode when writing this.  Indeed you are absolutely correct and the author is John Sheen.

• 1 year later...
On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2011 at 06:38, Old Owl said:

I have a full run of the St George's Gazette for 1914-19, so if you give me his name, battalion etc., then I can look.

Old Owl,

It is quite a while since I have visited the Forum, so I am not sure of the correct protocol to contact you with a request.

My Dad L/Cpl 24/1509 Christopher Grieves of Leamside gets a mention at page 168 of the August 1916 St. George's Gazette for being wounded.  I have an image of that page only.

I believe page 168 is page 168 of St. George's Gazette XXXIV (34), so the whole volume must be quite large.  I have tried to find a volume for purchase on line to no avail.

I wonder if there are any other references to my Dad in the rest of the volume, is it possible for you to have a look, as you have a copy?  I believe Dad served in V (5) Platoon B company 24th Battalion 1st Tyneside. I barely knew my Dad and have scant detail on his military history.  He was 54 when I was born.  Much of what I have was provided by John Sheen in years past.  Any additional information that anyone could provide about my Dad would be much appreciated.  Would Red Cross reports have been raised for wounded men?

Regards,

Tom G

15 hours ago, Tom Grieves said:

Old Owl,

It is quite a while since I have visited the Forum, so I am not sure of the correct protocol to contact you with a request.

My Dad L/Cpl 24/1509 Christopher Grieves of Leamside gets a mention at page 168 of the August 1916 St. George's Gazette for being wounded.  I have an image of that page only.

I believe page 168 is page 168 of St. George's Gazette XXXIV (34), so the whole volume must be quite large.  I have tried to find a volume for purchase on line to no avail.

I wonder if there are any other references to my Dad in the rest of the volume, is it possible for you to have a look, as you have a copy?  I believe Dad served in V (5) Platoon B company 24th Battalion 1st Tyneside. I barely knew my Dad and have scant detail on his military history.  He was 54 when I was born.  Much of what I have was provided by John Sheen in years past.  Any additional information that anyone could provide about my Dad would be much appreciated.  Would Red Cross reports have been raised for wounded men?

Regards,

Tom G

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately the St George's Gazette is very unlikely to contain any further information on your father, also there appear to be no service papers available for him via Ancestry.  This is fairly typical of many WW1 related searches, and thus it can be very hard to piece together a soldier's movements during WW1.

The War Diaries should be available via Ancestry--you need to search for these through the Card Index on Ancestry and the search them month by month--again it is very unlikely that you father will receive a mention but you may get a feel for what the battalion were doing each day and thus build a picture of what your father may have experienced.

Your only other hope would be local newspapers/parish magazines and such like where he may be mentioned.

Sorry to be of little help--but good luck with your researching,

Best wishes,  Robert