Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is Captain Thorpe?

Chris_Baker

A pocketwatch is inscribed ""Presented to Capt. Thorpe with best wishes from No. 6 Reserve Bgde RFA (T) for auld lang syne 1917".

The unit was based at Luton.

But who is this Captain Thorpe? I've checked the Army List and can't see a likely candidate.

All ideas welcome.

Hi Chris,

He could possibly be Major and Qtr.Mr. Alfred Thorpe, M.B.E.(See O.B.E. book 1921) May have been Captain in 1917? Entry shows:

"War Work: Quartermaster, 3rd(Special Reserve)Bn Bedfordshire Regt. Address: 85, Goldington Avenue, Bedford."

Sounds like he could have been around at the right time--not sure how you prove it though!! Local Press?

Robert

I have just checked the Army List and he is down as Hon Major in Oct.1914 and also in Oct.1917---does this mean he is officially a Captain or a Major? not sure how honorary ranks work!! Maybe he is the wrong man after all??

I had seen him, Robert - and I am as perplexed as you. The Bedfords / Luton connection is interesting, though. A Camp Commandant or something, perhaps?

The local Press would seem to be a likely a place as any, if you have the time or inclination!!

In some areas the local Territorials received more coverage during the war than the war itself!!

Obviously less likely to be helpful if he is a TF officer, but looking through the wo338 indices, there were:

- Lt F.C. Thorpe in the RGA & RFA, Long number 30063.

- 2Lt Harold G Thorpe, RFA , L/No. 212469

- 2Lt Hugh Stanley Thorpe, L/No 45799

- Lt I.A. (hard to make initials out?)Thorpe 8/24 RGA, L/No 40127

- 2Lt Thomas Thorpe, RHA & RFA L/No 105910

- 2Lt Thomas Wisley Thorpe, RGA, record still with the MOD

- Lt Walter Thorpe, RFA, L/No 14334

- 2Lt Walter Langford Thorpe, RFA (SR), Record still with MOD.

I also have who is listed as H Thorpe, QM & Hon Major 3rd Bedfordshires at Harwich in summer of 1915, who could be the A Thorpe previously referred to. Have never had the need to explore who he was I am afraid, so am unable to add more at this point.

• 2 years later...

The Major and QM Alfred Thorpe, M.B.E referred to by Old Owl is almost certainly my grandfather, Alfred Albert Thorpe (b.1861 Radford, Notts, d.1944 Hastings). I don't know a great deal about him as he had died before I was born but I knew he had served with the Bedfordshire Regiment, notably in the North West Frontier (Khyber Pass) in the 1890s, as I have memorabilia handed down to my late father (another Major A R Thorpe, RE., before, during and after WW2, and I know he was born in Bedford) relating to that period.

As I say, I've only just started doing some research on my grandfather, which is what has led me to this site and thread, but his age (56) in 1917 and position in a Reserve Battalion would tally, and may also explain the honorary rank - you experts would know more about that I suspect. Steve Fuller mentions the H Thorpe, QM & Hon Major 3rd Bedfordshires at Harwich in summer of 1915 and I have seen a group photo of the 3rd Battalion Beds officers (see http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/Biographies/otherbios1.html) and the H. Thorpe seated in the second row not only looks about the right age to be my grandfather in 1915 but also bears a striking resemblance to my father and his brothers. I suppose an 'A' can easily be misread as an 'H'.

The question of whether or not he is the same man as the Capt. Thorpe to whom the watch was presented remains of course, but the additional details regarding my grandfather may help you eliminate him, or not!

I will follow with interest.

Following the suggestion to check the local newspapers by Robert (old owl) post #6 -

The Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle newspapers of 1917 make reference to a Capt. A. St. J. Thorpe (C.F.) addressing various meetings, etc.. This was Capt. Alfred St. John Thorpe.

Alfred St. John Thorpe to be Chaplain to the Forces, 4th Class 2nd May 1916

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29588/page/4977

A possibility?

Edit:

There are further references to Capt. A. St. J. Thorpe, Chaplain at Biscot (which appears to have a R.F.A. base) in the above newspaper in 1917, e.g.

8.11.1917. Presentation of a bible and wristlet watch to Capt. Thorpe by the Y.M.C.A. Commandant, Col C. H. Alexander - "Capt. A. St. J. Thorpe is now en route to the East...."

Report of a concert in which various Gunners and Drivers are listed. Reference is made to Capt. A. St. J. Thorpe Chaplain at Biscot, who has departed for "a battle parish in the East", being replaced by a Capt. S. L. Connor.

His medal index card states that he was posted to Salonika in November 1917.

Sounds like you've found your man!

Nevertheless, I'd still be very grateful if anyone could shed any light on my grandfather. Incidentally, reading another thread here relating to Temporary Quartermaster, Acting Lieutenant bells has just rung some bells insofar as I think I recall my mother telling me after my father died when she rediscovered and handed over the NW Frontier memorabilia that her father-in-law may have been an RSM with the Bedfordshires at that time. That may or may not help. At any rate the rise from RSM to QM & Hon Major does seem rather meteoric but perhaps this sort of thing was common given the pressures during WW1.

Sergt.-Major Alfred Thorpe, Bedfordshire Regt. was appointed Quartermaster with the honorary rank of Lieutenant January 22 1898

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/26931/page/376

and granted the honorary rank of Captain January 22 1908

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28101/page/497

and granted the honorary rank of Major January 22 1913

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28683/page/499

3316 Sergt. Maj. A. Thorpe, 1st Battn. The Bedfordshire Regt. was entitled to the India 1895 medal with clasp "Relief of Chitral 1895"

A start.

It would have been nice to find the announcement of his M.B.E. and retirement date in the London Gazette but efforts to do so hampered by the new search arrangements (to put it politely).