Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme trip late sept-oct

SLAYER71

Hi all I am going to travel to the somme area in late sep-oct, I will be visiting the british cemetery at Pozieres where my great grandfather from the Aussie AIF is buried I also hope to trek around to Albert, Villers Bretoneaux and also go to Delville woods, I will be travelling by rail I dont have a car, is it best to situate myself at Amiens or Arras and hope to stay in a hostel or the like is most of this possible without a car , can I use the local bus network or perhaps hire a bicyle, or even hike/walk , any help would be most appreciated. ;)

I think hiking and biking are both viable in the area of the Somme. I think the subject of where to hire a bike has been covered before on this forum. A search may find the mentions. Please keep in mind that the official opening of the new Thiepval Visitor Centre happens on 27th September.

If you don't have a car you wont see very much. If you stay aroun Hammel then you can visit more of the interesting areas on foot, but still very limited. Delville Wood would be a fair old walk, and a visit to Mametz Wood would be impossible i would imagine.

I was going to suggest staying in Albert (mainly cos' you said you are coming train and Albert has a Station!), but you mentioned you want to visit Villers Bret', that's a fair old trek from the Somme battlefield

Thanks guys, for the replys Im still deciding where to stay at either Amiens or Albert (Im leaning more toward Albert,closer to Pozieres) can anyone suggest a hostel or either cheap B&B to stay in Amiens or Albert as I would possibley like to email them and check for availability in late September or book over the net , any help would be appreciated. ;)

I am travelling by train.

Hi Slayer71.

I have stayed in Albert on a number of occasions at the Hotel De La Basilica, run by Dider Petit, It is right in the town centre across from the Basilica. It is a familiy run hotel and is quite cheap with an excellent Retaurant. I think that it is around 45Euros a night including the usual breakfast. The Lady in charge does not smile very often at all and does not say much either but she will look after everything you need, her son speaks good English. There is also the Relais Flueri on the La Boiselle road but this is very very basic and cheap. I will be there myself from the 30th Sept, may meet you there.

Regards

Ross.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I was wondering I would like to maybe do a basic battlefield walking tour just to get my bearings is there any chance of catching a local tour based out of Amiens or Albert to do this ? ;)

Hi Slayer,

Yes I think that there is a company called salient tours which will give you a half day or a full day tour of the Somme Battlefields. Please find the link below. I have not taken one before but have seen their minibus many times on the battlefields.

Hope that this is useful.

http://www.battlefields.freeserve.co.uk

Regards

Ross

Ross , thanks heaps for the reply I checked the link and found it very helpful I will probably do the standard day tour with them to get an overview then maybe in the following days try and see certain sites on my own terms , thanks once again.

Adam.