Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

85th battalion C.E.F. feathers

N.S.Regt.

In original Photos they show the 85th battalion feather as a quite a bit taller then the ones I have collected. The story told to me by the son of a 85th vet. was that the 85th was not allowed to wear the feather untill they seen combat. So instead of tossing them away the trimmed them so they would fit in their tunic pocket. Interesting story but seems to be true I have seen a lot of 85th feathers over the years (I have 6) but all have been trimmed except for a few 2or 3 that I have seen. I would like to show some examples to you. First is from a Khaki tam I think this is the correct term with the Plaid backing. The red feather is the colour used by the 85th (green for the 185th blue for the 193rd and purple for the 219th).

post-23-1090545030.jpg

The feather below came from the red and white diced Balmoral (hope this is the right term as i get them mixed up). the feather is a little rough but was with the hat when I got it it has the black backing found on the hat.

post-23-1090545297.jpg

The third picture shows the size difference I mentioned earlier the large feather is fron the 185th battalion. I have fliped the 85th feather over to show the back.

post-23-1090545497.jpg

Lastly this feather with the white is from a known 85th Vet. lot I have only seen one other like it. I wonder if it was made up for the vets after the war if anyone has any Ideas let me know. P.S. I did not put the tape on it but it is so fragile i did not want to remove it. I place another feather next for comparision.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

post-23-1090545824.jpg

• 13 years later...

I see this is a very old thread, but I'm looking for info on feathers, I also see the photos are not showing up anymore Broken links maybe? Can the first poster with the photos please contact me, I have a few questions about the feathers and would love to see these photos as they are not showing up anymore. terrymccully@hotmail.com is my email address for anyone that sees this post and knows a thing or two about the 193rd blue feather, ie was it a real feather then dye was used, a blue jay feather? 

Welcome to the Forum, Terry. Sadly, the OP last visited the Forum on November 1, 2009. I've sent him a message alerting him to your post but it's unlikely he'll pick it up.

Incidentally, we strongly advise against displaying your email address lest it be harvested and you get (more?) spam. On the rare occasion that a member doesn't want information displayed here on public view (we did have a retrospective case yesterday) and wants it sent to their email address we suggest a little encryption, the simplest being [at]  instead of @.

(Cue for suggestions for more sophisticated methods.)

Generally we prefer information to be posted here, so people know what others are saying and to avoid duplication of input.

Good luck with your query.

Moonraker