Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
MichaelBully

Religious Groups opposed to war

Gustywinds
On 07/05/2019 at 14:29, ilkley remembers said:

Came across a couple of local men who served with FAU whilst researching Ilkley's contribution to WW1

1/ Kenneth Mallorie Priestman, who came from a well known and wealthy  Yorkshire Quaker family. There was a GWF thread recently about a another branch of the Priestman family who lived in the East Riding. Kenneth left the FAU and enlisted into the RE in 1916 and was killed on The Somme on 31st Aug. '16.

2/ Ernest Proctor, whose father was a lecturer at Leeds University, lived in Ilkley for many years. He was an artist of considerable talent and became the artist to the FAU. Several of his paintings/drawings are in the IWM. 

Both Proctor and Priestman had been pupils at Bootham School in York

There were several Priestmans in the FAU and one, Colin, was the last of 21 members who died while serving with them. He and two others lived in Birmingham but are related to the Yorkshire branch.

Some of Proctor’s drawings here:

https://www.morganfourman.com/articles/ernest-procter/

They are mostly of the Queen Alexandra hospital in Dunkirk which was built of wood on the former army exercise ground. My great aunt worked there and my great uncle was brought there mortally wounded after crashing his Camel.

ilkley remembers
11 hours ago, Gustywinds said:

There were several Priestmans in the FAU and one, Colin, was the last of 21 members who died while serving with them. He and two others lived in Birmingham but are related to the Yorkshire branch.

Some of Proctor’s drawings here:

https://www.morganfourman.com/articles/ernest-procter/

They are mostly of the Queen Alexandra hospital in Dunkirk which was built of wood on the former army exercise ground. My great aunt worked there and my great uncle was brought there mortally wounded after crashing his Camel.

The 'Men who said no' page on the Peace Pledge Union lists a number of men by the name of Priestman including both Colin and Kenneth and were linked not only by heritage but also by their involvement in industrial enterprises, something not uncommon with Quaker families particularly in the 19th Century.

Procter seems to have been artistically very productive during his service in the FAU and as you say made many drawings of the base depot at Dunkirk and also Boulogne. I have also seen watercolours and drawings of the front...usually rather desolate landscapes.