Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old paddle steamer

stevenbecker

Mates,

Page 23 of the 9th ALHR unit history tells of the grounding in between Anzac and Suvla of a old paddle steamer in storms around the end of Oct or early Nov.

Do you have any details of this?

S.B

Hi Steve,

I have a couple of post war photos of the wreck, one of which is from the sea showing the position of the Marsden in relation to the outposts, taken in the 1930s. However, I fear the pics are too big to be downloaded onto this site and I do not have softwear to resize them. Can you send me an email address so I could send them to you.

There are still a few remnants of the Marsden today, just a few metres from the shore.

There is a story, told in some book about the New Zealanders at Gallipoli, saying that after the Marsden grounded in the storm, the crew left the vessel for the night, with the idea of returning in the morning to try and refloat her. Sad to say, as far as the good captain was concerned at least, men of the NZ Mounted RIfles got on board and salvaged the skipper's private rum stock under the cover of darkness.

Cheers

Bill

Bill,

Thanks mate, no need.

One of our mates on another site posted a series of photos taken during the Turkish bombardment of the grounded paddle Tug, these were from a Sydney newspaper of that time and show clearly the ship and the gun fire.

The ship was a welcome addition for the troops as it was stripped of its wood and used as fire wood during the cold months of Nov and Dec 1915.

Cheers

S.B

Hi Steve,

Ok I'll hold on to the pics then. By the way, what was the other site you mentioned, I am always interested in photos of old wrecks (myself excluded).

Cheers

Bill

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi JEMW, 

just noticed your posting.

If you send me your email address I can send you a hi res scan of a photo taken about 1930 of the wreck of the Marsden.

As a matter of interest, there are a few remnants of the wreck still to be found, though over the past few years much of what has remained has broken up.

Cheers 

Bill