Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KAR Service Records

Guest sgfoote

Has anyone had any success in tracking down the Service Record of officers who served in the KAR?

I have been trying to track down the service record for my grandfather who served in the KAR in Nyasaland and Tanganyika from 1917-1923 - but I keep getting conflicting information and dead ends.

The National Archives said that they did not hold his service record because he demobilised after 1918, and advised me to contact the Ministry of Defence.

The Ministry of Defence said that they did not hold his service record, and advised me to write to the National Archives in Kenya.

I have tried writing and emailing to the Kenyan archives, but have received no response.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions of what to do next?

I have a feeling they would actually be likely to in Malawi but how you get hold of the records Im not sure

Mzungu

Has anyone had any success in tracking down the Service Record of officers who served in the KAR?

I have been trying to track down the service record for my grandfather who served in the KAR in Nyasaland and Tanganyika from 1917-1923 - but I keep getting conflicting information and dead ends.

The National Archives said that they did not hold his service record because he demobilised after 1918, and advised me to contact the Ministry of Defence.

The Ministry of Defence said that they did not hold his service record, and advised me to write to the National Archives in Kenya.

I have tried writing and emailing to the Kenyan archives, but have received no response.

I can't offer any help per se for the KAR but I did find out when trying to trace an Officer in the Royal West African Frontier Force ( commonly WAFF) that thay were officered by detached officers from British Home Regiments, in my case a Welsh Fusilier. If (and I have no idea about this) your grandfather was similarly attached you may be able to explore this as an alternative avenue... hopefully not a Cul-de-sac.

Needless to say I never traced my man !

FSG