The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

G.R.O. - 1837 online, etc.

GrandsonMichael

Thought I'd mention the fact that us foreigners have acquired the full ordering status:

'We are pleased to announce that overseas visitors are now able to order birth, marriage or death certificates online from the General Register Office, via the 1837online.com website.

For further information and to order certificates please read the page titled 'order certificates'. (Please note that you would be ordering direct from the General Register Office, not from 1837online.)

Kind regards,

The 1837online.com Customer Services Team'

No, they did not give me free credits for this announcement... :angry:

Cheers,

Michael

Michael,

What is the 1837online site like???

I was thinking of using it, but was wondering how easy it is to find the info I am after (a marriage that may have happened between 1916 and 1922ish)

Sorry, I don't really agree:

What you get to see is lists of names per quarter of a certain year. You've got to pay for each view so if you don't know the exact year and have to search like between 1916 and 1922 you're going to be paying lots of dough....especially if there are a lot of names like Smith or so.

Even if you know the year, the info you get is absolutely minimal: name and a reference, that's about all.

If you give me the info you've got, I can try to search Ancestry.com for you.

Cheers,

Michael

If any body wants to know what the 1837 website is REALLY like , email me and i will tell you honest pitfalls which i have discovered and can save you one hell of a lot of money and time wasted----dont believe all the hype and i am making nothing out of it

Crumbs,

Let's rectify my posting a little:

If you have enough info it is possible for foreigners to order birth, marriage and death certificates online via G.R.O. directly, which was not possible till a short while ago. Only Britishers could order and pay online....

One does not need 1837online for this, as should be clear from the quotation?

Cheers,

Michael

Pity you don't have Scots ancestors, their site is so much easier and cheaper. the nonsense of spending a fortune on a 'legal certificate' only exists for pre 1855 material, so shouldn't really concern 1WW researchers. The system in England & Wales really is a rip off (yes, I know the population is larger & therefore has greater digitisation problems).

Still no excuse though Julian, but i should charge for saving people money but i wont, but like i say if anyone wants to dig their family without paying out to web sites which claim unbelievable stuff just drop me a line---i do have scots ancsestry and for less than 12 quid ist time got back 200 hundred years with the scots census--much easier and no rip off

And grandson michael you can pay any where in the world but sometimes need a uk address but i am sure if you payed the postage some one would accept and forward your letter for you

If you give me the info you've got, I can try to search Ancestry.com for you.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael,

I've been to ancestry.com....................doesn't have what I am after.

But, thanks for the offer

Steve

'And grandson michael you can pay any where in the world but sometimes need a uk address but i am sure if you payed the postage some one would accept and forward your letter for you '

Thanks for the suggestion, good thinking...

Cheers,

Michael