Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Delhi Durbar Roll

Steven Broomfield

I'm very probably being a bit dense here, but is it possible to obtain a list of members of the 10th Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales's Own) who were entitled to the Delhi Durbar Medal? I'd quite like one to deposit in the regimental archive to aid research, if at all possible.

The medal rolls for the medal are held in the National Archives under WO 100/400 or there is a book The Delhi Durbar Medal 1911 to the British Army compiled by Peter Duckers that should help you.

Nigel

Steven,

Peter Duckers produced a small tome a number of years ago which covered all officers and men of the British Army who were entitled to the D/D 1911. Unfortunately this is out of print and out of stock!! I have asked Peter if he intends to reprint, but alas although he does-- he has not as yet :(

Hopefully some kind person may be able to extract the information for you from their copy. I have the version for the Indian Army, so if you ever need a look up please ask :thumbsup:

Robert

I don't suppose the pages of Delhi Durbar Rolls on Ancestry would be of any help?

Steve.

I don't suppose the pages of Delhi Durbar Rolls on Ancestry would be of any help?

Steve.

Where are these on Ancestry? I have looked but can see no sign--- can you give me a clue as to how to access these? please.:thumbsup:

They are in the Collection:

UK, Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949

and under:

Asia > India 1903-1911 > Delhi Durbar - Army in India

I normally search for Smith as a surname, expand the Military results (Old Search) and navigate from there. Although, you can shortcut the Army Rolls once you are there.

Also includes India, Boer War Rolls, Waterloo, Peninsular Campaign, Crimea, and pre- and post-WW2 rolls eic. (but not WW2)

Steve.

Thanks everyone. I might look out for a 2nd hand copy of the book. I'm not an Ancestry member.

I believe from an old thread that there were approximately 200 all ranks of the 10th who qualified.

Steven,

Are you looking for the 1911 Durbar Roll or the 1903? I have the Duckers' book of the 1911 Roll. The problem is is that it is arranged by name alphabetically across all units for the 4,171 recipients entitled to the award. The microfilm record from the National Archive is, according to Druckers, arranged by unit, so would seem a much better bet for your purposes.

There is a copy of the book on AbeBooks at the moment, £10.74 + £13.50 shipping from Germany.

The 10th Hussars were entitled to 9 for officers & 121 for ORs.

Peter

1911, thanks.

Typical - postage more than the ruddy book!

PM me, Steven (or e-mail via Profile if the PM inbox is full)

Steve.

• 11 months later...

I'm very probably being a bit dense here, but is it possible to obtain a list of members of the 10th Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales's Own) who were entitled to the Delhi Durbar Medal? I'd quite like one to deposit in the regimental archive to aid research, if at all possible.

Bit late responding to this but the list by regiment is indeed in TNA, on microfilm. I attach a copy of the first page. Not all officers got a medal either. Bit blurred I'm afraid but just readable.

Alan

For those interested in the XRH and the Durbar a book came out last year called 'A Glimpse of Empire' which contains extracts from the diary of Lilah Wingfield who attended the Delhi Durbar at the invitation of Sir Basil Brooke of the XRH. It describes her journey out and back and round India as well as life in the Durbar Camp. Some nice photos too, including Barnes, Brooke and Stewart.

See http://www.glimpseofempire.com/ .

Alan

• 7 years later...