Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Ernest Harold Robinson DSO MC Bar

Terry Carter

Hello Folks

Can anyone help please? I am doing a bit of research on Moseley Grammer School in Birmingham. At the start of the war it was took over by the War Office (it was not a school then) and in military parlance it was Known as Moseley Barracks. It was a depot to hold volunteers of Kitchener's New Army to ease the pressure on Budbrooke Barracks (Warwick) and Whittington Barracks (Lichfield). However in October, 1914, it became the training headquarters of the 3rd Birmingham Battalion. The 3rd City Battalion stayed there until April, 1915, from there it moved to Malvern.

However, Moseley Barracks was still used during the rest of the war period and afterwards became a college to train disabled officers for Teachers.

Has any person got any info on Moseley between 1915 to 1920 period?

However my main query regards the first Headmaster of the School (it opened in 1923) Ernest Harold Robinson DSO MC (Bar) The Bar is mentioned in the Birmingham Who's Who (1953) But cannot find any info on the London Gazette site.

His MC with the Shropshire Light Infantry was gazzetted on 18/7/17 his DSO 6/4/18

Can anyone put more light onto this man please. What Battalion did he serve in? And where the actions took place and any other useful info would be much appreciated.

Thanks all

Terry

Hi Terry

There is a Lt. E.H. Robinson in index of Regt., mentioned at least 9 times. I will get back to you soon as I am just off out.

Annette

Hi Terry

The info. below is from Regimental History.

Lt. E H. Robinson, was Machine Gun Officer with the 7th Battalion King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, and sailed to France/Flanders with them on 27-8-15.

The Battalion was relieved on the night of April 3rd/4th, 1916, from position near the Mound, St. Eloi, by the 27th Regiment of Canadian Infantry. The 7/K.S.L.I.’s machine gunners remained in the line, under 2nd Lt. E. H. Robinson (History records that he was Lieut. when he sailed ?). On the 5th this offer was holding one of the craters with a Lewis gun, although two of the team were killed, and he himself and another of the gunners wounded, he refused to leave the crater. 2nd Lt. E. H. Robinson remained with the two uninjured members of the team working the gun after the infantry had retired (The Regimental History makes no mention of an attack ?), and until the gun itself was destroyed by shell fire. The Lewis gunners were relieved on the night of 11th/12th.

2nd Lt. E. H. Robinson rejoined in September 1916.

History records him rejoining again in June 1917 (rank Captain), but makes no mention when or why he left.

He took Temp. Command on 23-12-17 to 1-2-18, with rank of Major.

He was wounded again on 12-4-18, the Battalion was holding the Le Hamel Switch between the La Bassee Canal and the Canal de la Lawe.

Rejoined during September 1918 with rank of Major.

Wounded again 1-10-18 during advance from trenches east of Flesquieres.

The History makes no mention of his awards.

Annette

• 3 years later...

Hi I attended Moseley Grammar Schoo - 1947-54, I knew Ernie Well - he once gave me six of the best

on my rear end - unjustly I might add. He also gave me hell for booking a 6th Form trip to London into the

Coventry Theatre which was showing the Follies.

I habe happey memories of Ernie all the same and lots of annecdotes Feel free to email me direct at

roy.parker@shaw.ca