Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medals to the CEF

chris.wight

Has there ever been a book published with a list of CEF men who received the Military Medal?

Has there ever been a book published with a list of CEF men who received the Military Medal?

Hi Chris:

No. It's my Holy Grail; complete list with citations please.

Garth

OK Garth, one MM Holy Grail Special coming right up! :P

It's kind of the missing jewel in the crown then with books having been done on the DSO, MC, DCM, and MID.

Any chance Ted Wigney's listening in? :D

Hi Chris:

I've come across a reference to the number of Military Medals issued to the CEF somewhere. The number is staggering. To compile the information then publish it as a book would be a labour of love. It would probably cost about $100 CDN per copy.

Where can I send my deposit for the first copy? :lol:

Garth

Guys

Try "The Military Medal Canadian Recipients 1916-1922" by Harry and Cindy Abbink. Tough to find 125 copys I believe I have a copy if you neen a look up. It dose not Have citations and does not list by unit I have found all my 25th guys after a few months searching you would not believe the names. I believe it was privately published.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

I was going to mention the Abbink book but N.S.Regt. beat me to it.

A couple of months ago, Ted told me he had a number of irons in the fire regarding WW1 books - the one which was of greatest interest to me being a roll of Canadian POW's. I have eight POW groups at the moment, and it would be great to be able to reach for a book to confirm POW status, just as I now grab Ted's CEF Honour Roll to check on casualties.

Terry

That is exactly what I need there are 18 P.O.W.s from the 25th battalion I have 17 I have been trying to track down that last one for years. I have the medals to 67551 Pte. Murray Wilson and know of another still with the family. Let us know when you know more please. The book I would like to see is a list of all wounded something like the C.E.F. roll of Honour which is never far away.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

N.S.Regt.,

Ted mentioned a couple of problems. First concerned the Archives - apparently it is a bit more difficult to sign out large quantities of material than it was in the "old" days.

Second was the difficulty in tracking down exact dates for men taken prisoner. For example, many of the 2nd Ypres POW's from 22-25 April,1915 appear in POW lists around June-July of that year. Ted obviously wants to confirm the correct day of the guy being captured. This tends to slow things down in his research.

Cheers,

Terry

PS: Will you be attending the militaria show in Oromocto this Saturday?

Thanks for the title N.S.Regt. What year was it published?

Along the lines of what Garth posted about the NAC putting up a fully searchable database re the CEF, wouldn't the real holy grail be a searchable CD-Rom encompassing all the various awards given.

The real problem is still trying to tie down a man's exact unit beyond the battalion's Provincial designation, and for MMs, the service branch. Ironically the first set of MMs awarded to Canadians and announced in the London Gazette have the specific details we all look for.

I've never seen the Canada Gazette, do their details mirror those of the London Gazette?

Terry

Looks like the book is at least a few years away too bad. I can not make the july show work this weekend hoping to go to Septembers are you going.

Chris

The book was published in 1987 by the Alison Publishing Company out of Calgary.

I have been having the Same sort of problems with the 25th men I have been researching the attestion Papers are a great tool but like you say it does not show tranfers, promotions, woundings ect. that is the information I need. I have the Names of about 4000 out of approx 5092 and really would like to get all the this for a mini bio. on each man of the Battalion. But it is going to be very costly to send for all those service records. A on line research tool such as this would be the greatest C.E.F. reference going almost no need for anything else.

If you have a paticular block of numbers you are interested in let me know and I will see how many have M.M.s

The Canada Gazette is great if you have access there is a complete set here in Halifax I have spent many many many days checking them over wery similar to the London Gazette but Canadian content.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

N.S.Regt.,

I usually attend the Oromocto and Saint John shows; I went to Charlottetown in May, and have also gone to one show in Halifax (2002) and one in New Glasgow (2002).

Hopefully I will make the Sept show as well.

Cheers,

Terry

Terry

Hope to see you there

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

N.S.Regt., thanks for the information, and offer!

• 5 months later...

Chris,

My great uncle Reginald Ellis 427706 of the 46th Battalion CEF serving with the 10th brigade machine gun company was awarded the Military Medal No. 30540 (according to his service record) in Feb 1918 with a reference to the London Gazette. Is this article extant, and if so, does it provide details. Thanks, and Happy New Year to all,

Johnel

• 1 month later...

Hi Johnel, I just came across your post now. The 30540 refers to the London Gazette Issue number. Unfortunately when it comes to the Military Medal, only the barest details are shown, in this case it mentions the Machine Gun Corps. The citations are not given either.

Here is the actual page from the London Gazette, link.

Do you have his citation?

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the reply and link. So far so good.

I've written Ottawa and have requested his citation, so it's a matter of time.

Regards,

Johnel

PS:

This medal was lost 40 years ago. Presuming that it is in someone's collection, and given the possiblities for communication that the internet provides, I'm entertaining the fantastic idea that a search for this medal might produce results. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

J