Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier Varak Agabof

marina

Ignorance is supposed to be bliss, but I'm merely embarrassed - I never knew that Russian soldiers fought o the Western Front. What is this man's story? How many Russians were there in the West? Can anyone tell me anything about this?

Marina

I believe that there was a token force (less than a division) fighting with the French on the Western front. There's a little bit about them in one of Lyn MacDonalds book (Paesschendale I think) - In 1917 the Russians sided with the Bolshies and refused to co-operate with their former allies so the French turned their artillery on them.

This page is not a bad place to get a quick overview.

The Forum Pals Tour a couple of months ago visited the Russian cemetery and chapel at St Hilaire le Grand. There a picture here.

There is a terrific account, With Snow On THeir Boots about the 2 brigades of Russians who fought in Champagne. The chapel Chris mentions is adjacent ot their cemetery which is standard French. Buried alongside them on the chapel grounds are their officers who could not return, some with French wives, some live quite a while.

I have been twice, chapel closed both times.

Thanks for all those responses, Pals - you ( I mean 'I'!) learn something every day. This will be something more for me to investigate. How very sad the story of the soldiers shot post revolution is.

Thanks again,

Marina

PS Who wrote 'Snow On Their Boots'?

Chris - just read the overview you posted. very moving to think of them there with their bear and the balalaikas. Thanks.

Marina

Couldn't agree more with Paul an excellent book and really the only source in English that I know of.

enjoy,

Neil