Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7TH (Queen’s Own) Hussars

pgardiner1418

7TH (Queen’s Own) Hussars

Can anyone tell me what the above were doing on 13th May 1915 that may have led to the death of Captain Stanes Geoffrey Bates, he is down as KIA in Officers Died.

He is a relative of a friend.

All the best,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

According to CWGC he was serving as Adjutancy to North Somerset Yeomanry when he died on 13th May 1915. He was killed during the Second Battle of Ypres.

The North Somerset Yeomanry were part of 6th Cavalry Brigade in 3rd Cavalry Division which was holding the line from Hooge up to Railway Wood.

De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour states, with a photo, that he was killed instantaneously by a shell in the trenches on 13th May and was buried amid a few trees behind the line held by the North Somerset Yeomanry. But his grave was lost, as his name is now on the Menin Gate. He was Mentioned in Despatches for his actions on that date.

If you are interested I could find out more for you as I have the History of the 6th Cavalry Brigade.

My 2x Great Uncle served in the Leicester Yeomanry which served in the 7th Cavalry Brigade of the same Division and who lost a lot of men on that same day, including their Commanding Officer, most are also on the Menin Gate.

Trp255

Trp255

Thanks for that I have just got the De Ruvigny's off Ancestry, I must admit I didn’t think to look there.

Fran will be chuffed as I don’t think she has ever seen a picture of him.

All the best,

Paul.

• 12 years later...