Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dar Es Salaam CWGC Graves & Memorials

bushfighter

I am in Dar Es Salaam next week, hoping to raise the profile of the Great War in this theatre by discussing possibilities with interested organisations.

If any Member would like a grave or memorial to be photographed then please respond using this thread.

Harry

Harry

Thanks for your kind offer!

If possible, would you be able to photograph the grave of Major Roderick Beauclerk Webb, 25th Royal Fusiliers, who's buried in Dar Es Salaam War Cemetery please?

The owner of Newstead Abbey, one-time home of the poet Lord Byron, he is commemorated on the village memorial. Those on facebook can view a photo of that memorial - in rather different climatic conditions to what I suspect Harry will find in Tanzania (!!!) - here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.169100439788710.35421.100000662652132&type=1#!/photo.php?fbid=169101716455249&set=a.169100439788710.35421.100000662652132&type=3&theater.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Jim

Would possibilities include tours to visit the theatres of war in Mozambique, Tanzania and/or Kenya Harry?

Please keep us posted with your news.

Cheers

Shirley

Harry,

Yes please! One Anglesey casualty at Dar-es-Salaam War Cemetery as follows:

Gate, William Haselden MT-7117 Sgt S.African Service Corps (MT). 14 December 1917 age 32. Ref. 4.A.2

Born New Brighton, Birkenhead, his wife was resident in Natal, and his parents at Prestatyn, Flintshire; but for some reason he also appears on the war memorial at Rhosneigr, a seaside village near Holyhead. Enlisted 31 August 1917, he arrived at Kilwa on 25 October and was assigned to the Rail Tractor Repair Company on 13 November. Injured on 11 December when a tractor he was riding on was accidentally derailed, he was moved to the 2nd SA General Hospital at Dar-es-Salaam where he died of a fractured spine.

I'd be most grateful to have a picture of his grave marker, if possible.

Clive

Harry many thanks for the offer,

if possible could you get me a photo of the Cemetery and headstone of

Albert V Ibbs M/281823 Pvt 648th M.T. Coy Army Service Corps. Buried at 7.C.8 Dar Es Salaam War Cemetery.

Regards Andy.

A very kind offer thanks Harry.

Would you be able to get photos of the graves of the following West Wales men please-

Evans, E, Private, 13513, Royal Fusiliers. Grave Ref. II. E. 3.

Morrison, D J, Shipwright 1st Class, 342391, Royal Navy, HMS Challenger. Grave Ref. VII. B. 9.

Batin, G, Ordinary Seaman, J/52871, Royal Navy, H.M.S. Mersey. Grave Ref. 2. F. 12.

Davies, J M, Sapper, 452460, Royal Engineers, Grave Ref. 6. G. 22.

Evans, D D, Sergeant, 13377, Royal Fusiliers. Grave Ref. 3. F. 12.

Jones, D, Private, M/338768, Royal Army Service Corps. Grave Ref. 6.K.5.

Lloyd, H, Lieutenant, King's African Rifles, 1st/3rd Battalion. Grave Ref. 1. D. 16.

Terry, J W, Private, 23837, Cavalry, 4th Queens Own Hussars. Grave Ref. 2. E. 14.

Whitehead, F, Corporal, 452340, Royal Engineers, Lindi Signal Company. Special Memorial.

Many thanks, and have a good trip,

Steve.

Harry,

Many thanks,

A very kind offer and if I may,

Dar Es Salaam War Cemetery:

ALLMAN / ROYAL MARINE ARTILLERY / 3.G.4

BOLTON / ROYAL MARINE ARTILLERY / 2.C.7

FREEMAN / RMLI / 7.M.4

MEDLAND / RMLI / 2.C.13

MERRY / RMLI / 2.C.5

TAYLOR / GLOUCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT / 5.H.3

THOMSON / RMLI / 1.A.11

British and Indian Memorial : situated in above cemetery in Memorial Garden ' A '

BOOTH / GLOUCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT / 16/10/1917

Have a safe and productive trip

Simon.

Many thanks for the offer Harry

Would appreciate a photo of the following grave

DAR ES SALAAM WAR CEMETERY

Name: WARD, PATRICK Staff Serjeant

Regiment/Service: Cheshire Regiment 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 28/12/1917 Service No: 7180

Awards: M S M

Grave/Memorial Reference: 6. A. 10.

Have a safe trip

Isadore

Harry,

Thank you for such a great offer, I have researched my local war memorial in Shropshire and in Dar-es-Salaam War cemetery is buried;

Pte Geoffrey George Parmiter, DM2/180236, 648th M.T.Coy, Army Service Corps he is buried in grave VI.H.11

He was the only son of the local vicar at Doseley Parish and died of enteric fever on Jan 11th 1918, A photograph of his final resting place would be most appreciated.

Dave

I got all Upanga Road headstones this afternoon, although some are in deep shadow.

Dar War Cemetery is a big undertaking and I hope to tackle it on Wednesday & Thursday.

I use a Panasonic DMC-TZ5 with a fairly wide angle lens, and so can take up to 5 headstones per frame.

This is necessary because of the extremely hot sun at present which beats down on you limiting the time you wish to be out there, however it involves much editing later to present individual headstones on single frames.

Harry

• 3 weeks later...

I photographed all the headstones in both the Dar War Cemetery and Upanga Road.

But it is taking time to separate and title each stone.

But here are a couple of conditions that I found:

post-20901-0-34004700-1320596357.jpg

The grave of Major Eric Conway Irwin, 20th Duke Of Cambridge's Own Infantry (Brownlow's Punjabis), attached to 40th Pathans

Several stones now are partly concealed by plantings, but I like that as it is how the chaps used to take cover from view in the bush

post-20901-0-61166800-1320596711.jpg

The grave of Lieutenant H.E. Eglon, Gold Coast Regiment, West African Frontier Force

This is obviously a replacement headstone with new types of stone and computerised incising, as there is a blue tinge to some of the incisions

However in strong sunlight, the norm in Africa, the naked eye cannot read the lettering

Perhaps weathering will eventually make the inscription more legible

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Garry,

After seeing Roop's request for a picture, I just remembered that I have the WW1 death plaque for 9596 Pte John Dunglinson, 2nd Bn LNL Regt. He is buried in the Nairobi South Cemetery, Ref: II.G.13.

Was wondering if you had a picture of his grave which I could add to the plaque in my collection.

Jean-Paul

Hi Harry,

Thank you so much for the photo of Pte Geoffrey George Parmiter :poppy: , DM2/180236, 648th M.T.Coy, Army Service Corps it is much appreciated.

Dave

Hi Harry,

Thank you for the image of the grave for Pte John Dunglinson, 2nd Bn LNL Regt.

Jean-Paul

A huge public :thumbsup: to ' Bushfighter ' Harry for his kindness in obtaining the photos I required.

Simon.

A public thanks to Harry for the photo's sent and for his care of those who served in the African theatre.

Isadore

Thank you Folks

SteveJ

I have cracked the problem.

Your first two lads are in Upanga Road Cemetery, and I haven't edited that batch yet.

WAIT OUT until next month, please.

Harry

Thank you Folks

SteveJ

I have cracked the problem.

Your first two lads are in Upanga Road Cemetery, and I haven't edited that batch yet.

WAIT OUT until next month, please.

Harry

Thanks Harry- much appreciated.

SteveJ.