Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boer Rebellion

Jim_Grundy

An account was published in a Nottinghamshire newspaper of the early days of the Boer Rebellion. Identified only as

J MacLachlan, his letter appeared in 1915:

"One morning early an officer called at the farm and commandeered me for service. I was to proceed to Bethal with horse, saddle and bridle, and three days’ provisions. It was then I heard for the first time of the treachery of Beyers, De Wet, and Co., and that rebellion was afoot. To cut a long story short, we entrained in a few days, horses and men, and the following evening were camped at Vereeniging. We found a big camp there, of commandos from various parts of the Transvaal, awaiting orders, and after patrolling the northern border of the Free State for about a week, we suddenly received orders to entrain one evening for an unknown destination. During the night we started, and when morning broke we were well into the Free State. Everywhere mischief and destruction. Fences cut, telegraph wires down, and telegraph posts torn up. We proceeded cautiously all day, train after train full of men and horses, following close after one another. Eventually, just as darkness fell, we arrived at a place near Bloemfontein, named Themissen. Here we were ordered to detrain and hold ourselves ready to trek when the moon rose at about two o’clock next morning. When day broke we had travelled about twenty miles and I had the satisfaction of seeing General Botha amongst us in command.

"All day loyal commandos were coming in to swell our numbers, and when, just before sundown, we had orders to saddle up, there were over 2,000 mounted men and a battery of artillery ready to deal with De Wet’s footpads. Presently, away in the distance could be seen a long black line moving rapidly towards a kloof between two kopjes. We were endeavouring to cut them off. As we got closer shots were fired from all round us, it seemed to me, and they must have been fairly near, for I could smell the burning powder, but we took no notice, and kept right on. Our horses, as you may have gathered, were not too fresh, and only the best among us were able to get in touch with the main body of the rebels. However, we captured about 340 of them, and their entire laager, carts, horses, waggons, provisions, clothes, etc.

"I shall describe to you, as well as I can, how a commando camps after say, a long day’s trekking. A commando numbers usually about 400 men, under the command of a commandant. It is subdivided into sections of about 100 each, with a Veldt cornet (lieutenant) in charge. Each section keeps together, and its rations are served (when there are any separately). The horses are attended to first, then fires are lighted and coffee made. By-and-bye a Veldt cornet rises with a Bible in his hand, and moves off a bit into the Veldt. A few follow him, and presently he lifts up his voice and sings. Others join him, and in a few minutes the whole section is round him singing with great gusto.

"One night we had orders to saddle up, and after trekking all night, with about two hours’ rest at midnight, found ourselves camped in a cup-shaped valley, where we rested for an hour or two. Then on again, riding at a brisk pace. My horse was a bit out of sorts, and I was advised to remain with our convoy, which, of course, travelled much slower. However, he was a strong little chap, and I decided to risk him, more especially as we had heard that there was a likelihood of some excitement that afternoon. Towards evening we came in sight of a range of dark, forbidding looking kopjes, and shortly afterwards halted. Scouts were sent out, and on their return we moved off in open order, line after line, making for the range of hills in front. As we got nearer, the country was so broken and hilly that we had often to dismount and lead our horses. I began to feel my grand little horse giving in, and I had the mortification of seeing the others gradually leaving me behind. However, we struggled on, climbing break-neck kopjes, and sliding down the opposite side, till finally I reached the top of a high rocky kopje overlooking miles of country on the other side. By this time I was walking, leading my horse, who could scarcely drag one leg after the other. Away at the bottom, dotted through the valley was my Commando, galloping after the rebels.

"No one in cold blood would have attempted to descend the kopje at this place, but after an awful scramble we reached the bottom, and I could now see that my horse was dying. He was purging blood and unable to move any further. It was now moonlight, so I off saddled and sat down to consider what to do. Here was a nice kettle of fish. Left all on my lonesome, in the wildest looking country I have ever seen, full of rebels, and my staunch little horse dying, I went over to him and spoke to him. He looked up in my face and whinnied. I could not stand that, so went away and sat down, took out my pipe and felt completely fed up with everything. By-and-bye I lay down with my rifle for a pillow and went to sleep.

"Before dawn broke I awoke, rolled up my belongings into a swag, as I had learned to do years before in Australia, and with a last look at my poor chum, who was stiff and dead, started to walk – I knew not where. By-and-bye I met a Kaffir, looking very scared, no doubt at my formidable appearance. He directed me to the nearest town, which was Paul Roux, a distance of about 16 miles he said. This was very cheerful, and the probability was that I should find it in the hands of the rebels when I got there.

"It was now very hot, and I had such a thirst on me that I decided I must have a drink, and seeing a farmhouse on a hill some distance away, I made up my mind that rebels or no rebels I would go there and ask for some water. I clambered over the rise, and Eureka! walked right into our convoy camp. We came up with our Commando next night, and a day or two afterwards trekked into Bethlehem."

‘Newark Advertiser & South Notts Gazette’, 21st July 1915.

Hope it's of interest.

I think this is a good little find from the Newark Advertiser and South Notts Gazette. Not only does it show how easy it was for an English speaker (one assumes MacLachlan was of Scottish descent) to be swept up into a Boer Commando but also the hardships endured even before they head off for German South West Africa. Good description too of how a Commando was made up. Shame MacLachlan didn't say which Commando he was in. Anyway goes to show how the most unlikely sources can throw up new information.

Thanks Jim.

Regards

james w