Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who are they?

karenlr

Good Evening

I wonder if anyone can help

I am trying to identify regiments from some old photos I now have by looking at the cap badges & uniforms

I believe the photos are of one of the brothers I have been looking into and asking questions about on this forum

I now know (from advice from members of this forum) that Leonard Carver was indeed in the first Battalion of the 17th London Regiment

and I believe I have the right William R Carvers medal card which shows him being in the Middlesex battalion (Please see my previous post in soldiers)

But I,m not sure if these photos show one or both of these regiments

I tried to download the photos but I was told the image was 2 big. A kindly gentleman advised me how to make them smaller to be put on here

but I,m afraid the detail of the badges has become to small

Would someone be able to help by emailing me so I could send them the photos by email

Thank You

[Good Evening

I wonder if anyone can help

I am trying to identify regiments from some old photos I now have by looking at the cap badges & uniforms

I believe the photos are of one of the brothers I have been looking into and asking questions about on this forum

I now know (from advice from members of this forum) that Leonard Carver was indeed in the first Battalion of the 17th London Regiment

and I believe I have the right William R Carvers medal card which shows him being in the Middlesex battalion (Please see my previous post in soldiers)

But I,m not sure if these photos show one or both of these regiments

I tried to download the photos but I was told the image was 2 big. A kindly gentleman advised me how to make them smaller to be put on here

but I,m afraid the detail of the badges has become to small

Would someone be able to help by emailing me so I could send them the photos by email

Thank You

Hello

I,ve managed to get some of these on (My computer is crashing all the time!) Hope you can see the detail

Thanks

post-80768-0-37160300-1318373741.jpg

post-80768-0-05668600-1318373813.jpg

I hope you can all see this I was frightened it may be to small!post-80768-0-91375700-1318374325.jpg

Hi

The Officer with the two ladies, he is wearing the cap badge of the Essex Regiment, with the leather Sam Browne Officer gear.

In the group photo, I would only be making a guess, as to the cap badges being worn by some, as the Middlesex Regiment, maybe some one with better eyes than me, will come along.

Gerwyn

In the top picture the man seems to be a Warrant Officer in the Essex Regiment (apart from the fact that his Sam Browne belt strap is over the wrong shoulder)

In the 2nd picture he is a Sergeant (three chevrons). The battle patch looks like that of the 10th Battalion of the Essex Regiment in 18th Division.

The lower one looks like it may be a mixture of badges. I can't really tell.

Steve.

In the top picture the man seems to be a Warrant Officer in the Essex Regiment (apart from the fact that his Sam Browne belt strap is over the wrong shoulder)

I've seen some (not many) examples of both Officers and WOs wearing it this way (possibly left handed?)

I'm left handed. Before I went Gunner and changed to a crossbelt instead of a Sam Browne, I am certain that the Regimental Sergeant Major would have taken a dim view of changing the strap over to the wrong shoulder and words would have been spoken. I think I can see a badge on his lower sleeve too, making him a Warrant Officer in the group photo with the ladies. The third picture looks consistent with 17th Londons, but it is too dim to make out.

By the way - there are two threads running on this fellow where I identified the cap badge (from the first picture) as Essex Regiment. Time to merge them please, moderators?

Thanks Everyone. This puts a wash on the medal roll document I found Making one of The Carvers in the Middlesex Reg. It cant be him

To Staffsyeoman Sorry I didnt realize there was another thread running On my account it only shows this one that I posted? Not sure what happened there

I'm left handed. Before I went Gunner and changed to a crossbelt instead of a Sam Browne, I am certain that the Regimental Sergeant Major would have taken a dim view of changing the strap over to the wrong shoulder and words would have been spoken.

Possibly the practicalities of life in the trenches etc allowed more leeway (as it did in such things as cap stiffeners, shaving the upper lip etc etc.) Being able to get your pistol out quickly was more important.

I could be completely wrong, but in the group photo the chap at the extreme right has a very similar face bar the moustache.

Keith

Hi

Yes they do. Either this group of photos is of the 2 Carver brothers or just the one. We dont know which one but what we do know is that Leonard was deff in the

first Battalion of the 17th London Regiment as I have his war papers and when he was discharged the next of kin was correct and the home address he gave was the Carver family home

The group photo isnt very clear on here I,m afraid the one I had sent via email I can zoom in and increase the size quite a bit but because I,m no expect by a very very long shot I cant id the cap badge I have searched the internet and I have tried!