Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kosturino battlefield

MartinWills

Guest Robert from Rabroo

I never thought the cross was a memorial of Irish regiment. I thought it was Greek commander tomb. That is how the local population perceive it.

I am however impressed even enchanted by the passion and insight you guys share.

I spent my childhood there, barefoot on the hills and dried water streams. But we always thought it is only Serbs, Bulgarian and Greek soldiers involved.

If you wish to visit the place my family house doors are open for you!

It can even be a good memory project in the eve of the 100th anniversary. We can speak with the British and Irish ambassadors.

Just to note that FYROM is very disgraceful to local people.

Regards

Robert having lived on the last house near the top of the hill above Rabrovo.

Hello Robert

I take groups out to the old Salonika Campaign battlefields twice a year and we always visit the Kosturino battlefield area inc villages of Ormanli, Memesli and Calakli. In May I hope to run a themed 10th (Irish) Division tour and as part of this we'd like to have a look at the hills behind the Itish memorial as we have 1915 French sketch maps showing positions. I will probably send my friend Romeo Drobarov from Strumica on a recce ahead of the visit. Perhaps we could arrange to meet up with you in May 2015.

Regards

ALAN

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...