Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ersoc bayonets

sawdoc34

Hello chaps,

been away working down south for a while but these were waiting for me on my return.

Problem is being a Brit/commonwealth collector, I have no idea what model they are or their value.

Any ideas?

DSCN5182.jpg

DSCN5181.jpg

DSCN5186.jpg

More images on photo bucket (sawdoc34)

DSCN5206.jpg

DSCN5203.jpg

DSCN5201.jpg

Ersatz - not Ersoc; meaning inferior substitute or imitation. In this case I belive you have a couple rare Imperial German variations - but I've looked in my reference books and can't id either one.

Ersatz - not Ersoc

No, Ersoc is correct here, short for Er(satz) Soc(ket)!

Sawdoc, glad to see you back after a long absence. I'll see what I can find out abou these, but don't have much hope on that given the lack of reference material over here!

Trajan

John,

cheers for the input mate, they have imperial markings to the blade & hilt, any info much appreciated.

Trajan,

its good to be back, sure you will dig up some info for me mate :thumbsup:

Must have a good think on what to do with these 2 as its going to mean another area of collecting & the missus already thinks the house looks like an arsenal :unsure:

the missus already thinks the house looks like an arsenal :unsure:

Tell me about it... Except for a rotating display of three or four I have to keep mine in the cupboards... That aside, it's nice you have the scabbards with these! I'll see what I can find out about them.

John in minnesota: just to clarify, when the Ersatz is made from an old socket bayonet, then the convention is to call it an Ersoc.:thumbsup:

Trajan

Welcome back Sawdoc .... so you ended up getting those ersoc bayonets. Sounds about right - nothing can stand between a collector and a new acquisition.!!

I endeavour to keep away from the ersatz bayonets as best I can - the field is just so big with so many variations it makes it almost impossible to collect them all.

When you were initially considering these you posted pics on THIS other thread where we did our best to ID them for you. (See Page 3, post numbers #55 to #60)

Trouble is, every different author gives the same thing their own separate ID # or code, which does make it very difficult. I think Carter is the main authority though.

Cheers, S>S

Dozens of these have come out of Afghanistan in the past decade. Most without scabbards. The influx of these from that region has not made them common , they still are damn scarce , especially their scabbards. About 6-8 years ago I had seen these variants for sale on some bayonet collectors' forums then at around $300 each , few with scabbards.

• 7 years later...

Another lovely series of all sorts. I have never seen one of these over here... But, is it jut my impression or are ERSOCS less frequently marked than other Imperial bayonets of the 1914-1916 period?

By the way, I have seen and even own a few M-Nagent bayonets which are all unmarked - some in German-type scabbards some in Austo-Hungarian ones. I assume these came to Turkey quite early on after Russian defeats on the easter European front. 

Julian

Julian

You are correct. 

Ersatz socket bayonets are extremely rare to find them unit marked. 

Less than 0,5% have been found with unit markings, as this is the usual analogy between non unit marked and unit marked ersatz bayonets. 

Regards

D.