Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge number is also Pte's number!?

mortimer

Yesterday I made a trek to a new militaria shop opened 50 miles away.

They had some medals for sale, mostly foreign, but a Labour Corps pair took my eye as they were originally naively mounted & tatty but the medals were in VG condition i.e about 90% of the gilt wash still on the Vic. medal.

There was a SWB seperated from the pair but they said it was his...the # on the badge 390431 is also the soldiers # !

a. Did the LC do this or is it a 1,000,000 to 1 coincidence!?

b. He joined the 'RIReg' 1st, why aren't the medals named to his 1st unit?

We will all all have seen mixed units on trios (I'm told this is incorrect) but I cant see how a London District soldier gets an SWB unless discharged through sickness -

SWB card says -

S

ao 265/17

Para 2 a 1

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have a badge with a number and just found a man with the same number.

Does his MIC indicate that he had an SWB? If so it ought to be possible to look up what his SWB number was.

Caveat Emptor

Mortimer,

Discharged due to Sickness under Army Order 265 of 1917, Paragraph 2 a 1.

There is a bit on AO265 here, but if I am reading it right, "a" refers to officers.

What is the List reference on the MIC? Without that, it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Phil

Thank you Steve. For avoidance of doubt, if anyone has not seen a SWB roll before, his badge was numbered 408102. That means the badge you have is either an extraordinarily lucky find that has been matched up with his medals, or has been doctored.

Thank you Steve. For avoidance of doubt, if anyone has not seen a SWB roll before, his badge was numbered 408102. That means the badge you have is either an extraordinarily lucky find that has been matched up with his medals, or has been doctored.

But just to be clear either way it isn't his badge

G K Chesterton once wrote a ditty about 'The Ways of the Wicked Grocer' - perhaps there ought to be one about 'The Ways of the Wicked Medal Dealer'