Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres Reservoir and Town cemeteries

wpf1958

I am researching some of those who are buried in Ypres Town, Extension, and the Reservoir Cemeteries and I am looking for any wartime or post war photographs of the cemetery.

I wonder if anyone has information on the following (I have the CWGC record):

In Reservoir:

Major Aubrey Webster Buckingham, Gordon Highlanders

Lieutenant Colonel Edward Robert Burne, DSO, Royal Field Artillery

Lieutenant Colonel Everard Ferguson Calthrop, Royal Field Artillery

89301 Corporal Thomas de la Mare, Royal Field Artillery

443288 Private Thomas Lionel Moles – Shot At Dawn – 54th CEF

Catpain Herbert Mather Spoor, MC, RAMC/RGA

In Town and Extension:

Major Hugh Wordsworth Atlay, DSO, RFA

Captain Arthur Thomas Grafton Beckham, 32nd Sikh Pioneers

Lieutenant John Stanely Davey, North Somerset Yeomanry

9749 Private David Turner Ferguson, VII Corps Cyclist Battalion

Captain Eustace Lyle Gibbs, North Somerset Yeomary

Captain Robert Giffard, RFA

Lieutenant Nathaniel Walter Ryder King, 16th (The Queen’s) Lancers

Captain Rupert Ommanney, RE/GSO

I am not on line 24/7 so please do excuse me if it takes a little while for a response, but I will respond!

Thank you for your help and advice.

Thomas Lionel Moles was born in Brompton Reigh (Somerset) on 17 November 1891. He served for four years in the Somerset Light Infantry. After leaving the British Army, Moles emigrated to Canada. Where in July 1915, Moles enlisted in the 54th (Kootenay British Columbia) Battalion. The 54th Battalion for England in 1915, entering France in August 1916.

Moles had a poor conduct sheet. He was charged for being AWOL on 18 December 1915, 23 March 1916, 6 June 1916 and 30 June 1916. He also had several convictions for drunkenness.

During October 1917, Moles was ordered to rejoin his company which was about to go into action. Instead of going forward, Moles went to a village in the rear areas. He was eventually arrested 3 weeks later, and charged with desertion.

At his court-martial Moles was found guilty and sentenced to death. At 05:30 on 22 October 1917

You can obtain obtain more detail on the following lead which has been very useful to me following my research on Shot at Dawn's http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/

also attached Private Moles Attestation

502279a.gif

502279b.gif

Good Luck on the rest

Thomas Lionel Moles was born in Brompton Reigh (Somerset) on 17 November 1891. He served for four years in the Somerset Light Infantry. After leaving the British Army, Moles emigrated to Canada. Where in July 1915, Moles enlisted in the 54th (Kootenay British Columbia) Battalion. The 54th Battalion for England in 1915, entering France in August 1916.

Moles had a poor conduct sheet. He was charged for being AWOL on 18 December 1915, 23 March 1916, 6 June 1916 and 30 June 1916. He also had several convictions for drunkenness.

During October 1917, Moles was ordered to rejoin his company which was about to go into action. Instead of going forward, Moles went to a village in the rear areas. He was eventually arrested 3 weeks later, and charged with desertion.

At his court-martial Moles was found guilty and sentenced to death. At 05:30 on 22 October 1917

You can obtain obtain more detail on the following lead which has been very useful to me following my research on Shot at Dawn's http://www.canadiang...warproject.com/

also attached Private Moles Attestation

502279a.gif

502279b.gif

Good Luck on the rest

Thanks so much for this helpful info. It's great.

Some postcards for you.

cemeteries28.jpg

cemeteries29.jpg

cemeteries30.jpg

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks so much for the photos of the postcards, they are brilliant!

• 3 years later...

If you are still interested in information and photos pertaining to Lt Col Edward Robert Burne and Captain Robert Giffard, RFA PM me your email address and I will send them to you. Regards, Dick Flory

Dear Dick

Thanks for the offer. Please email them to remembering@btinternet.com if that is OK.

Much appreicated.

Wilhelm