Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval and Lonsdale Cemetery Authuille

spike10764

Next week I'm off to The Bay of the Somme on the French coast, for a weeks holiday with my wife and family.

I then plan to take a day out (as yet uncertain which) to visit the Thiepval Memorial to take my OWN picture of my Great Grandfathers inscription.

Then I plan to visit the Lonsdale Cemetery Authuille and try to get a feel to the events and places I've only read about. My family are at yet undecided whether to stay on the campsite by the coast, or come with me for the day, although the strange mix of emotions I expect to feel may be best kept private.

I plan to travel from Le Crotoy via Albert and up the Bapaume road(I'm toying with a return via Arras, but time may defeat me on that). I know I'll really have to try and make a sensible plan to make the most of my day, but knowing me I'll be off at a tangent before I know it. As long as I get the picture and the Lonsdale cemetery in, I'll be happy though.

I say.... well hopefully because the fates are conspiring a bit. Couldn't believe it , came back from a course at work and 1 week to go, my cars playing up.

If I can't get it fixed early in the next week, then come about Wednesday I'll be frantically trying to hire a car for 9 days, including a trip across the Channel(is that possible?-I'll find out).Then it'll be changing the Seacat Ferry details, and praying for good weather

Wish me luck .....

...but don't call me lucky

Spike :unsure:

Have a great trip, Spike.

Incidently the Lonsdale Cemetery is an easy walk from the Thiepval Memorial. You pass through the Leipzig Redoubt, and from here you can walk down to the Lonsdale Cemetery over the ground up which the 11 Borderers attacked on July 1 1916. It gives you a very good indication of the uphill struggle the British faced.

Tim

Hi Spike10764

I went recently to the Lonsdale and can second Tim Birch. On the edge of the Bois D'Authille the Battalions faced an uphill advance of about 300m towards the Leipzig Redoubt. If you look at the ground today, you would say it could not be done in the conditions and tactics of 1916, but it seems that it was one of the few successes of 1st July.

I have a few photos if you are interested.

Chris

If your car is still down, I would suggest renting a car in France (the major companies are the same everywhere), thus saving on ferry fares and the hassle that British companies still put on international travel.

If your car is still down, I would suggest renting a car in France (the major companies are the same everywhere), thus saving on ferry fares and the hassle that British companies still put on international travel.

Agree with that, easy walk to the building in Calais, sometimes you have to call from there, agent comes from town to give you keys to car. And with left hand drive you are less likely to have trouble when passing.

To all

One major result - car fixed today-the man from the AA came(as part of the warranty) fitted 4 new ignition coils and hey presto.

Setting off on Friday and staying over around London. Sailing Saturday pm. wooo hooo

Tim-thanks for the advice

Chris C- always interested to see photos of the area-I'll PM you off forum

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Well I finally did it, I visited the places I'd only read about. It was only 4 hours or so, my family were with me so I couldn't please myself as much as I'd have liked to, but I got the basic things done that were my minimum for the trip.

From the Bay of the Somme coast I drove inland to Abbeville then Amiens. On the long straight roman roads fron Amiens to Albert, I first started to see the roadsigns for places I'd only read about. Villages and Towns that have names from the stories of The Great War, Corbie,Dernancourt, Ribemont .

Then over a hill and before me Albert, with the Golden Virgin gleaming in the sunlight. Round Albert to another straight road and we approach Ovillers , La Grande Mine is signed(visited this later-boy it 's deep). Then up to Pozieres, turn right on to the D71 for Thiepval, past Mucky Farm(never moo Cow) and the memorial which first was sighted much earlier is right in front of us,

Parked up and finally, finally got my own photo of the inscription- my Great Grandads Name among the 73000 ,Photos aplenty and I left my own memorial tribute to him on the Central plinth,

After signing the visitors book, off to find The Lonsdale Cemetery, down into Authuille and sharp left up a single track road that runs over the ridge. Enough space to park and down the track to visit the Lonsdale Cemetery. More snaps and a walk around, and around, and around- they had to drag me away. Then on the crest of the ridge- the quarry on the Leipzig Salient-called the Granatloch by the Germans. Not much left now but you still get an idea of the task facing the 32nd division that day. Looking down the track(track2) that was the direction of attack-without the crops there is no cover after the woods and the view from the ridge is all downhill.

Still had time for a quick visit to La Boiselle- the Grande Mine- quite a sight(the souvenir sellers were out -but they've got to make a living I suppose( By now the kids point blank reused to leave the car).

So reluctantly I set off back for the coast, sad but happy,if thats appropriate.

One thing I DO know- I will return and I will see more( the remembrance trail looks interesting) next time.

I will be putting some pictures in the Gallery when time permits.

post-12-1091786046.jpg

Well done Spike!

Good to hear you finding the places that have meant so much to you on paper. Now you'll be able to plan ahead for a proper visit!

Glad you got there Spike, well woth a visit for a longer period family permitting.

Andy

La Grande Mine- seen in person I was taken aback by the sheer volume of earth that must have been displaced

post-12-1091786474.jpg

Spike,

Great photos, sure you are aware of the Colin Bardgett book "The Lonsdale Battalion" which describes the actions of this Battalion on 1st July. See scan for your great grandfather, bottom entry.

Andy

post-12-1091790501.jpg

Yuk,

Sorry about the size of the scan

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Last year I managed to get acopy of this book after some searching- I got number 9 of a special first print of 600 , signed by the author and with a small copy of the Man or Mouse poster inside.

It's like my bible-so to speak

Well done Spike - methinks the trip won't be your last.