Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers cap(how to fit a badge ?)

noe

Hi, I have ordered a new badge for my officers cap. The one I took off is on the right, it has two clasps to hold it on. But I think the one I've ordered is like the one on the left with one big clasp. Why are there two different kinds, also will I be able to attach my new badge ?

post-23-1090174796.jpg

you need to make holes in it... it is like that

Thought so, I know I needed to make a new hole (nervious about attacking it with a knife). I thought the one clasp was standard, I didn'y know if anyone knew why the other badge had the two side claps rather than the conventional one ?

Dear Noe

If you've got an original officer's cap, please, please don't put any new holes in it.

The thing's done well enough to get this far in the shape it is without anyone - however well intentioned the reasons - interfering with it now.

Furthermore, the slider version looks very brassy - from the back it looks like an Other Ranks' badge rather than an officer's one. This explains the difference in fixings and, in which case, new holes would be an even worse mistake!

Can't you just wait until a two-blade version of the kind of new cap badge you want turns up rather than affect the integrity of this item?

noe

I do not know anything about British badges but I agree with Grovetown's comments about not making any extra holes. WW1caps are getting too hard to find and are becoming quite costly. If you do not mind me asking why would you take off the original badge was it to replace it with a different Regt. or was it not in great condition?

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Thanks everyone for thier help. I shant make any new holes ( I should have known not to be so silly). I'm going to beltring next week end, so I should be able to pick one up there.

Officer's Service Dress cap badges were in bronze and had tabs of the back for fastening. They wore other badges, some in precious or semi-precious metals and some with enameling for Dress.

I believe you want to replace your bronze badge with an OR one. Officers did not wear "slider prongs" for mounting their badges.

:rolleyes: