who died

on 28 December 1915

Remembered with honour

POTIJZE BURIAL GROUND CEMETERY

Potijze%20Burial%20Ground%20Cem.JPG

Commemorated in perpetuity by

the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Hi Old Owl and Gunner Parr

Thanks for the information. I think my best chance of finding out more will be to trawl through the local newspapers. I know where the soldier was from and he may have received a mention.

From previous posts, I understand that there was a delay of a few months between the actual event and the award being published. 2 DLI were heavily engaged at Hooge on 09/08/1915, but the DCM citation doesn't seem to suggest that he won the DCM or C de G there. It reads more like his company/platoon was coming in or out of the line when they were caught in the open by artillery fire. I have 2 DLI's war diary and several officers were wounded after Hooge, but trying to pinpoint the actual incident is proving very tricky.

Hopefully I'll find something in the local newspaper.

Geoff.

• 5 months later...

Can any one help me find out why Pte James Anderson 23331 Royal Scots (Broomhouse) received the Croix de Guerre. We have a copy of the certificate but no mention of why he received it. My husband is James son and he would love to find out.

Can any one help me find out why Pte James Anderson 23331 Royal Scots (Broomhouse) received the Croix de Guerre. We have a copy of the certificate but no mention of why he received it. My husband is James son and he would love to find out.

I have been having difficulty myself finding details of why my Grandfather was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre in 1918.The London Gazette entries for the Croix de Guerre seem to be just lists of the recipients. giving Number, Rank, Name, Regiment and the town/city they came from.

i have looked at local Newspaper archives for the months following the LG entry but have failed to find any details. I have not yet had time to research battalion war diaries yet. In my grandfathers case he was CQMS/CSM around the time of the award so it may have been for continuous duty or a single event.

What i am saying is you may be lucky and find an article in the local press archive or possibly the unit war diary. good luck in your research.

Bill

Is there anyone who can help me find out why Pte James Anderson received the Croix de Guerre. His No is 23331 Royal Scots (Broomhouse) The date on the certificate is 10 Nov 1918. Jame's son would love to know why he received it. Very appreciative of any help. Thank you Lyn

Is there anyone who can help me find out why Pte James Anderson received the Croix de Guerre. His No is 23331 Royal Scots (Broomhouse) The date on the certificate is 10 Nov 1918. Jame's son would love to know why he received it. Very appreciative of any help. Thank you Lyn

the date on the Certificate may not be the date of the award being published in the London Ga\zette, My GF's cert. is dated 1919 but was "gazetted" in April1918.

You can search the London Gazette here

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search

You have James Anderson Number and regt. so you should get a result. Then try and look up local press archives from just after that date, which may have a short article on him. Also try the Battalion war Diary, if available, from about six months prior to the gazette date.

I am sorry I cannot be of any more help and know how frustrating it can be, GOOD LUCK

Bill

Hi Bill, Many thanks for your reply, I will check out some of your suggestions, bit confusing as it says he was in the 13th Battalion on the certificate but enlisted in the Royal Scots 1st Battalion. Thank you and all the best as you search further. Lyn

• 4 months later...
Guest james nimmo

John Joseph Nimmo DCM was my Grandfather married to Florence Eva she was left with 2 children to look after she was awarded 18/6 pension per week to provide for them. As for the medals they are long gone before my time I never saw them, I am 69 now cousin David.

Jim.

I hope that members can also assist me with my Croix de Guerre research for Major ( temporary Lieutenant-Colonel ) John Patrick Glandore Crosbie of the Rifle Brigade.

His Croix de Guerre award was published in the Supplement to The London Gazette of 1 May, 1917, page No. 4163.

I would be pleased to know when, where and the reason/circumstances for his CdeG.

I know that he was also gazetted on 4th June, 1917, page 5469 to be a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order, again I do not know when, where or the circumstances surrounding his award of the D.S.O.

Hopefully, someone with knowledge of the Rifle Brigade's regimental history can assist me.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

LF

LF,

Crosbie, Lt.-Col., J.P.G.

D.S.O. 4/6/17 Kings Birthday award, no citation.

M.I.D 4 times

Croix de Guerre 1/5/17

born 17th March 1881, educated Harrow, 2nd Lt 9/3/01, Lieut. 15/12/04, Captain 14/6/11, Major 18/5/16, T/Lt - Col 1916-19, Bt Lt - Col 3/6/19, Lt - Col 1/5/30, Col. 1933. retired 1936, re-employed 1939-45

2nd RB South Africa 1901- 02, Egypt & India 1903 - 11, Adjutant 24th London Regiment TA 1911 - 14, Commander 24th London Regiment France, Balkans, Gallipoli, Egypt 1914 - 18 (wounded), 4th RB Quetta, Gibralter 1919 - 22, 2nd RB Ireland, Chanak; UK 1922 - 24, Commander Rifle Depot 1924 - 27, Commander 1st RB India 1930 - 33, Commander Rifle Depot 1933 - 36; Provo staff 1939 - 45.

Died Winchester 29/11/51.

Andy

LF,

Crosbie, Lt.-Col., J.P.G.

D.S.O. 4/6/17 Kings Birthday award, no citation.

M.I.D 4 times

Croix de Guerre 1/5/17

Andy

Andy,

Many thanks for the information.

Regards,

LF

Hi

here is the LG entry for James

http://www.london-ga...pplements/13728

Very difficult to get the reasons for receiving foreign awards. can only suggest local newspapers and / or war diaries. I have a data base of over 37,000 known foreign awards, of which approx 85% are gazetted & have just over 150 that have the reason for the award.

Good luck in your search, if you do find anything could I ask that you let me know so I can add it to my data base.

Peter

• 3 years later...

Hi Sharpshooter

Just found this thread whilst looking for something else, how did you get on with your search for E Pennell.

The reason I ask is that "Ted" was uncle to my wife's step-father, and I have information about him, you may have the same. Send me a PM and we can exchange details.

John

Edited by Knotty

• 3 years later...
On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2012 at 01:37, ForeignGong said:

Hi

here is the LG entry for James

http://www.london-ga...pplements/13728

Very difficult to get the reasons for receiving foreign awards. can only suggest local newspapers and / or war diaries. I have a data base of over 37,000 known foreign awards, of which approx 85% are gazetted & have just over 150 that have the reason for the award.

Good luck in your search, if you do find anything could I ask that you let me know so I can add it to my data base.

Peter

Hi Peter

So were some awards of the Croix de Guerre not gazetted then? I am researching BZ/3462 Philip Leslie Day, A. B, RNVR and thanks to a gentleman on another thread I have a photo/ newspaper entry that gives a reason for the award but I cannot find him in the LG and wonder if some never made it to the Gazette?

Many thanks,

James

Hi James

I can't find him either.

Yes, there are quite a few foreign awards not gazetted. Some have been awarded under the foreign office files of which I have some but not all. It would mean going to Kew and sifting through all the admiralty files and then there is no guarantee of finding him. Could you please message me with details you have so I can add him to my database.

Many thanks

Peter 

Hi Peter,

Thanks for looking. PM sent.

James