Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Church Lads Brigade (CLB) badges

Kate Wills

This looks as though it has been through the war. Any ideas? Thanks

post-77-0-00354000-1316959762.jpg

Yes, Iwondered if it was Church Lads Brigade, or perhaps the 16? KRRC, the battalion with the CLB connection?

It is I believe Church Lad's Brigade Cadets [CLBC] [Part of the KRRC if I recall.]it has a further limb to the cross surmounted by a Crown the normal CLB cap badge is IIRC an Oval Riband with the CLB Device {Crossed Swords & a Military type Helmet with a Cross on a planchett in the centre} & the letters CLB between these.

Your badge Kate looks to be a Lapel type badge from the Crescent fixing device?

HB :thumbsup:

The badge you have is a lapel version of the badge I am attaching. It is indeed a Church Lads Brigade badge but it is for the CLB Training Corps, a feeder group for 10 to 14 year olds. This badge was in use from the 1910s to the 1930s. Go to my profile page on the British badge Forum and view my CLB Album. Or follow this link...

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/album.php?albumid=176

post-7658-0-60792700-1316974399.jpg

Thankyou for your help everyone. I posted this on behalf of a member of the Northampton Past group on Facebook

Facebook Northampton Past

I can't find your album conijoni. Can you give a quick link please? That's a very nice example in the picture.

Kate - you may have to join the Forum. Google British Badge Forum. There is no cost. Link...

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/album.php?albumid=176

Since you liked the photo, here is another with the variations. I am a sad individual, you can see. However, I believe that the CLB badges are beautiful pieces and the CLB Training Corps badges are amongst the nicest. If I get a chance I can photograph the lapel badges.

post-7658-0-14182100-1316978279.jpg

The senior Church Lads Brigade members wore a KRRC CLB Cadets badge from 1917 to 1930. I am attaching a photo with two varieties - one is slightly bigger than the other. The CLB was affiliated to the KRRC as members of the Brigade formed the 16th Bn Kings Royal Rifle Corps and the Governor and Commandant of the CLB was Fieldmarshal Lord Grenfell of the KRRC. Another link you may find interesting...

www.esclcgb.co.uk/upload/Looking%20Back.pdf

post-7658-0-40891700-1316978898.jpg

Pictures of two types of CLB Training Corps lapel badges, one has a voided crown. To the best of my knowledge many CLB badges were made by Gaunt of London and Dowler of Birmingham, therefore the varieties. The Training Corps later became the Junior Training Corps (JTC) and with this change came a whole set of new badges.

post-7658-0-32078900-1316980516.jpg

Never deride your expertise by downplaying it as "sad". Experts such as yourself ensure that knowledge is safeguarded for the future. Without it we are reduced to speculation. I'm sure you have made Dave K's day on Northampton Past.

I'm going to rename this thread Church Lads Brigade badges.

Many thanks.

Am I correct that it is now understood that the Cadets badge was not used within the British Army, and that 16th KRRC would have worn the usual KRRC badge? Regards, Paul.

I can categorically tell you that the CLB Cadets badge was NOT worn by members of the 16th KRRC. The 16th KRRC was formed in 1914 which was several years before the CLB was affiliated to the KRRC. The CLB was affiliated to the KRRC in the latter part of 1917 and the badge introduced soon after this. The 16th KRRC men wore the KRRC badge.

The CLB was affiliated to the KRRC in the latter part of 1917 and the badge introduced soon after this. The 16th KRRC men wore the KRRC badge.

Interesting - but just to clarify: the badge issued in 1917 was therefore only worn by cadets, correct?

Peter

• 2 years later...

Johnny - many thanks for putting me onto this excellent thread. Don't know how I missed it growing so nicely in 2011! I've cross-linked it with some of our other CLB and 16/KRRC topics.

Who knows - it may once and for all help kill off the false myths about the badges of 16/KRRC etc.

Is it worth adding some pictures of the older 'Armour of God' oval badge (as per your avatar) for completeness?

Cheers,

Mark

It is I believe Church Lad's Brigade Cadets [CLBC] [Part of the KRRC if I recall.]it has a further limb to the cross surmounted by a Crown the normal CLB cap badge is IIRC an Oval Riband with the CLB Device {Crossed Swords & a Military type Helmet with a Cross on a planchett in the centre} & the letters CLB between these.

This is the badge Johnny uses as his avatar. It depicts the Armour of God. Ephesians 6 v11-17 -

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:"

• 6 years later...
On 25/09/2011 at 21:01, conijoni said:

The change to Junior Training Corps.

post-7658-0-58388900-1316980865.jpg

This badge on the left, I have one of these from my grandfather.. can anyone give me some more information about it?

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Jamie.

I have removed your email address from public view, as spammers can harvest addresses. 

Michelle 

Jamie,

See Post #7  higher up where Pal conijoni gives more detail on the CLB Training Corps (TC):

BTW, it's not a good idea to publish your real e-mail address on the open forum - it is likely to get harvested by crawler bots and sold to spammers, or worse.  Better to ask people to send you a Personal Message (PM) using the forum's own internal PM system.  When you then get a PM, you can decide whether to give that Pal your real external e-mail address.

[Edit: Michelle's already sorted you out!]

All the best!

Mark

Edited by MBrockway