Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracer in 1916

Guest woodyudet

Guest woodyudet

Would tracer have been fitted into 303 belts by default in May 1916? Does anyone know when tracer became standard ?

Dont know about that mate, but i am intrigued as well, not that they would have needed it as at the most they were only a couple of hundred yards apart.

But phospherus had been used for years in match heads coated with another substance which when scraped off would allow the phospherus to ignite, so the properties of this substance were well known.

And the reason it isnt used anymore is because it caused a terminal condition called phosjaw i think it was called---cancer of the jaw.----full of useless crap me

Woodyudet

All I can tell you about tracers are they were adopted about 1915 and that they should be marked VIIG on the head. I collected service ammo for a while but only found ww2 dated examples of the tracer.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

Woodyudet

I recently read "No Parachute" by Arthur Gould Lee and in the book he makes frequent reference to 'tracer'. It was particularly useful because he could use the tracer to aim with rather than relying on the gun-sights. This meant he could keep his head up and it gave him better all round vision.

Garth

Guest woodyudet

Thanks for info guys ...

I was wondering, because it occurred to me that some of the fires caused in Dublin in the easter rising might have been caused by tracer rounds rather than artillery rounds [mainly firing shrapnel]. Tracer fired into houses would presumably be rather dangerous from a fire prevention point of view.

woodyudet

To my knowlege the tracer round does not burn it just glows it flight to aid in aim. Incendiary rounds are what you are refering they will burn after being fired this this what they used to bring down some of the Zepplins and observation balloons. Maybe gas lighting was the cause of the fires you mentioned I do not know if Ireland still used it at the time but a shell or a bullet could set off a fire.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.