Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Reginald Dawson

chrisharley9

DAWSON070219162.jpg

One of the joys of browsing through the Times is actually being able to find evidence of burials of people that you thought that nobody would be able to find.

From The Times of 7th Feb 1916

Name: DAWSON, THOMAS REGINALD

Initials: T R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: London Regiment

Unit Text: 19th Bn.

Date of Death: 04/02/1916

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 9 or 10.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

It has been confirmed today that he is buried at Beckenham Cemetery (formerly Elmer's End)

Chris - that's a brilliant discovery. He is one of my 19th London officers and joined up the same time as my grandfather. I may have a photograph of him somewhere, but he is definitely on Arras.

attended Westminster School where he served in the OTC

enlisted in the 2/19th 3 October 1914

arrived in France w 1/19th on 18 June 1915

He is also listed in the Oxford University roll of honour. He must have been awarded a place, but I don't know whether he matriculated or not.

His service record is: WO 374/18787

I will have to go along to Beckenham and find his grave.

Charles

004.jpg005.jpg

Charles

Judy has already been to the cemetery to get IFCP photos of the grave

Hopefully in due course CWGC should move his place of commemoration

Chris

Chris,

That is an awesome find. How did his name end up on the Arras Memorial? Some paperwork got lost there and it must have been a terrible four and a half months for him. poppy.gif

Cheers Andy.

Chris - Thanks, thats great work. It looks very overgrown. Do you think CWGC will take over responsibility for his grave, or commemorate him with a CWGC headstone or elsewhere in the cemetery?

I must confess that was an anomaly in my database that I had meant to resolve one day. The regimental roll of honour had him as died at home, yet CWGC had him on the Arras memorial.

Charkes

Cannot really say what CWGC will do, but his name should now be removed from the Arras Memorial

Cheers

Chris

May take a long time--I know of man who is on Arras Memorial, but his body was found in 1938 and buried in one of the cemetries beside Vimy Ridge. His name is still on Arras Memorial.

Wesley Wright

May take a long time--I know of man who is on Arras Memorial, but his body was found in 1938 and buried in one of the cemetries beside Vimy Ridge. His name is still on Arras Memorial.

Wesley Wright

Hence the term "Carved in Stone"

Should really have made my self a bit clearer. On the database his name will be removed from the Arras Memorial; only when the panels are replaced will his name actually be removed from the memorial

Cheers

Chris

• 4 years later...
On 9/27/2011 at 22:39, Wesley Wright said:

Wesley Wright

His name is still on Memorial, but his name has been removed from database stored in cemetery