Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following WW1 casualties to its database today.

Dvr Ernest APPLEFORD

Royal Field Artillery

Died 17.02.17 Age 23

Commemorated: United Kingdom Book of Remembrance, Berks, UK

Pte Albert Edward HAYWARD

G/43498 19th Bn, Middlesex Regiment

Died 07.10.18 Age 20

Commemorated: France (1914-1918) Memorial, Berks, UK

Spr Rudolph LYON

54462 Australian Engineers

Died 23.07.20 Age 42

Buried: Rookwood Necropolis, NSW, Australia

Pte James NESS

S/8147 8th Bn, Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Died 12.10.17 Age 24

Commemorated: Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium

Pte Joseph WINN

1706 2/5th Bn, Durham Light Infantry

Died 16.01.18 Age 25

Pte Edward WRIGHT

1234 1/4th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers

Died 12.06.15 Age 19

Commemoration: Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium

Pte James YATES

49132 17th Bn, The King’s (Liverpool Regiment)

Died 08.05.18 Age 36

Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium

Pte Edward YEATES

3/5385 1st Bn, Somerset Light Infantry

Died 24.08.16 Age 29

Commemoration: Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium

NOT FORGOTTEN

The above were In From the Cold Project cases

- Dvr Appleford died of cerebro spinal fever (Volunteer: John Hartley)

- Pte Hayward died in action (Volunteer: Diane Shakespeare)

- Spr Lyon died of unspecified illness (Volunteer: Andy Massard)

- Pte Ness died in action (Volunteer: Diane Shakespeare)

- Pte Winn died post-discharge of tuberculosis (Volunteer: Kevin Galloway)

- Pte Wright died in action (Volunteer: Adrian Wright)

- Pte Yates died in action (Volunteer: Diane Shakespeare)

- Pte Yeates died in action (Volunteer: Diane Shakespeare)

May They Rest In Peace

Terry,

I am mindful,of both, the service of these men and the efforts that the "IFtC" Project made to now have them recognised.

But being "modern" without political comment.

Has the "British MOD" enough "spare" financial resources to transfer to the CWGC, for it, to maintain its obligations?

I just fear, that one or many of our current leading or "opposition" Politicians,who now "bang the drum" that UK is bankrupt or they know "how to fix it", will, in the lead up, to the 2015 British General Election,take an interest, in the CWGC's continuing work,for election purposes.

I fully acknowledge that the incumbent British Prime Minister's will and should, as part of their role,take a little "time out" on foreign trips,wherever,possible to spend some time in a CWGC Cemetery.

But heigh ho :D , a British Prime Minister visiting a CWGC "Foreign Cemetery" is likely to "catch the News" whereas,a visit to a UK WW1 CWGC maintained "resting place" I doubt will generate any "time bites" and can be left to the "Royals".

Please excuse my doubt,not at what you and the "In From the Cold Project" have achieved but its 21st implications.

George

Has the "British MOD" enough "spare" financial resources to transfer to the CWGC, for it, to maintain its obligations?

I think the answer has to be "yes".

Britain's contribution to CWGC is part of the international agreement which formed the organisation and, presumably, any reduction in its contribution would need to be agreed with the other contributing nations (who would need to pick up the extra contribution to maintain expenditure.

That is not to say that the group of contributing nations might not, collectively, pressure CWGC to reduce expenditure at some point.

George

There is no sign of any problems. As John said, CWGC is an international organisation (not a UK government organisation) and its funding is a joint agreement between its member states. There can be no unilateral changes without that member state withdrawing or all countries agreeing.

CWGC is a model of budgetary control and could certainly give MoD a few lessons! They work on a three year budget cycle and must not overspend or underspend by more than (IIRC) 3% otherwise they would get it in the neck from the member nations. That takes some juggling.

In fact, when members have withdrawn in the past, the UK has picked up their share of the bill.

Adding new names does not affect the budget for any one financial cycle as the budget is what the budget is. Regular maintenance, new stones and major projects all have to find their place in the three year cycles. It may simply mean a longer wait for certain projects to find their slot.

John,

Just my thought.

I am sure the ANZAC,Canadian,South African Governments,etc strive to maintain their commitment ,to the CWGC, and check closely its annual expenditure accounts.

You'll excuse me, I worked for a UK public department, for 40 years,whose annual accounts "were always qualified" i.e.it spent more than it received but "could explain the shortfall for "laudable" reasons or "things" beyond its control" i.e. Political interference "and trying to attract votes at a British General Election".

Surely you do not wish the Commonwealth to pick up the bill, for Britain's overlook of its WW1 casualties?

George

George

It doesn't work like that. Each country pays its share according to the number of names it has so nobody pays for anyone else's casualties.

And, as I said, it is not a UK government department.

Terry

If it was ever so.

How often to we read,on the Forum,that the CWGC's Cemeteries,Memorials,Headstones have been interfered with and the "CWGC" just picks, up the bill, be it car accidents,descendants "highlighting" their forebear,or just pure vandalism.

It is probably me, being more foresighted, in retrospect,knowing that I was just taken, as a kid, to Edinburgh Castle,to "see" WW1 i.e The Scottish National War Memorial, but took more pleasure in sitting on "Mons Meg" or hearing and watching the "One O'clock Gun".

George

Terry,

It is not for me to suggest if and when my WW1 Casualty ancestor should have his headstone replaced, by the CWGC,because it has not weathered,despite neglect in WW2.If rowdy French teenagers now wish to kick it over,its up to them.

There is no question that the Arras Memorial names are fading.They have not weathered so we now can question the quality of its original construction and engraving.

George

Rest in peace soldier boy's, gone and no longer forgotten. poppy.gif

• 3 months later...

Name: HAYWARD, ALBERT EDWARD

Initials: A E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Middlesex Regiment

Unit Text: 19th Bn.

Date of Death: 07/10/1918

Service No: G/43498

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 6A.K.1

Cemetery: HOOGE CRATER CEMETERY

Commemoration Moved From France 1914-18 Memorial

He was an IFCP acceptance a little while ago and was allocated to the France 14-18 Memorial as all new ‘France’ deaths (His DC said ‘died in France’).

However, during our systematic WW1 scan error search, he was found as an entry in the Hooge Crater Cemetery register. His name had been missed out in the scanning process. So, IFCP found him – twice!

I believe that the CWGC do an excellent job, last year a WWII headstone was replaced at Douvres la deliverand following an act of vandals, But prior to the new headstone a temporary plaque had been inserted with all the grave details listed.

Also surely it is better to be remembered twice (in chrisharley9 post) than to be "missing" its all a question of checks and balances, thats my view anyway

• 1 month later...

Dvr Ernest APPLEFORD

Royal Field Artillery

Died 17.02.17 Age 23

Grave found Winterbourne Churchyard Berks

With Thanks to Phil Wood

• 4 years later...

APPLEFORD, ERNEST

Rank:DriverService No:199567Date of Death:17/02/1917Age:23Regiment/Service:Royal Field Artillery 57th Res. Bty. Grave Reference:Special MemorialCemetery:WINTERBOURNE (ST. JAMES THE LESS) CHURCHYARD

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Driver Appleford is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a special memorial headstone to commemorate him as it is not possible to mark his actual grave.

Commemoration Moved From UK BOR.

• 1 year later...

Pte Joseph WINN

Died 16.01.18 Age 25

Grave found Thornaby On Tees Cemetery.

• 2 months later...

Pte Joseph WINN

Died 16.01.18 Age 25

Commemoration moved from Brookwood 1914-18 Memorial to Thornaby on Tees Cemetery. His grave is to receive a CWGC headstone.