Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery 59th Siege Battery RGA

vinnie

I have the 'War Diary of 59 Siege Battery R.G.A. 1914-1919' what or who are you looking for? Dick Flory

Thanks Dick, that's fantastic ! I'm looking for 14102 Sgt John Reilly, died 5-1-1916. Any info on what might have happened to him, also where can I get a copy of the diary.

Vinnie.

Vinnie: below are the entries from the war diary from 4 August 1914 to the death of Sgt. Reilly:

4 August 1914: Serving at Roorkie, India as a Siege Battery with four 6: 25 cwt. howitzers.

October 1914: Right section moved to Lahore. Right section moved to Amiritsar.

11 November 1914: Left Lahore and Amiritsar for Bombay.

19 November 1914: Embarked on SS Kennilworth Castle for England.

23 December 1914: Arrived at Devonport. Proceeded to Portsmouth. Five days leave granted to all ranks.

8 January 1915: To Fort Fareham for guns, horses, & reinforcements.

15 January 1915: 59 and 61[?] Siege Battery Ammunition Column embarked at Avonmouth as 7th Siege Brigade Ammunition Column. Disembarked at Rouen on 17 February 1915.

5 March 1915: Battery embarked at Southampton.

6 March 1915: Disembarked at Le Havre.

9 March 1915: Detrained at Estaires and marched to Pont du Hem. In action at 14.30 hours. Registered guns.

10 March 1915: Battle of Neauve Chapple.

12 March 1915: Counter attack. Bdr. Scadden died of wounds. Lt. Campbell wounded.

19 April 1915: Battery pulled out and went into action at Rue Petillion, Auber Ridge.

2 May 1915: one other rank wounded.

9 May 1915: Battle of Auber Ridge. Lt Brian killed.

13 May 1915: Battery pulled out and went into action at Festubert.

23 May to 16 June 1915: six other ranks wounded. Heavy fighting at Givenchy for a month.

10 August 1915: Preparing positions at Vermelles.

31 August 1915: Battery moves to Vermelles.

19 September 1915: Four other ranks killed. Five other ranks wounded.

21-24 September 1915: Bombardment

25 September 1915: Battle of Loos. Right section advanced at noon to Hullock Road - fired 80 rounds at 950 yards. Retired at 22.30 hours to La Rutaire farm.

27 September 1915: Cpl Parton killed.

29 September 1915: Bdr. Kemp wounded.

9 October 1915: Battery pulled out and went into action at old position Vermelles.

19 October 1915: Battery pulled out and marched to Robecque on rest.

9 November 1915: Left Robecque.

10 November 1915: In action at Annequin, behind Vermelles positon.

2 January 1916: Sgt Riley killed. Gunner McCarthy killed. Two other ranks wounded.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick, I can't thank you enough. I never thought I'd get that amount of information, I have so much to go on now.

Thank you again, Vinnie.

• 4 years later...

Dick

An old post but I know you are there!!

Would you kindly give me the NA ref for the War Diary of 59 SB, I can't seem to conjure it up whatever combination I use.

MaxD

MaxD:  "War Diary of 59th Siege Battery, RGA" is not from TNA but rather is a seven-page manuscript which briefly denotes the history of the battery during the Great War.  Are you looking for something in particular?

Dick Flory

Dick  Thank you for coming back.

I have the service record of WW Frith, commissioned from Sgt on 2 July 1915, kia 3 Nov 1917.  His record says he was attached (not posted) from his previous unit to 59th SB 27 Jun 1915.  The next entry has him joining 169 SB from 1st SB on 2 Feb 17.

I have 169 SB diary from arrival in France and the HAG to which it belonged from mid Jun to Dec 17 so am happy with that time frame.

I have 1st SB WD from Aug 15 - Dec 16.  An entry on 16 Dec 15 says 2 Lieut WW Frith from (squiggle !!!!! but not a number) relieves 2 Lt Evans at battery (suggests he was already in the unit and was moving from (squiggle) to the battery??  I can't find 1st SB from Dec 16 to Feb 17 when he left to join 169.

I am trying to fill in the gap between joining 59 on commissioning Jun/Jul 15 to joining 169 via 1st (and possibly others??) in Feb 17.

Anything you can do to fill in the gap would be most welcome.

MaxD

MaxD wrote: "An entry on 16 Dec 15 says 2 Lieut WW Frith from (squiggle !!!!! but not a number) relieves 2 Lt Evans at battery (suggests he was already in the unit and was moving from (squiggle) to the battery??"

MaxD:  I think the squiggle refers to the 'Ammunition Column'.  Frith was serving with the 7th Heavy Artillery Group (HAG) Ammunition Column prior to joining 1st Siege Battery. As 59th Siege Battery was also serving under the same HAG during most of 1915 I assume that he probably was attached to the 7 HAG Ammunition Column from 59th Battery, RGA but have yet to figure out the exact dates.

Regards, Dick Flory

MaxD:  The war diary of 7th Heavy Artillery Group indicates that Lt Frith joined the 7th HAG Ammunition Column, RGA on 23 July 15 (probably from 59th Siege Battery which at the time was administered by 7th HAG.  As best as I can tell at the moment this is his chronology:

William Wesson Frith was born on 29 Dec 1881

Served in the ranks for 15 years and 94 days

Attached to 59th Siege Battery, RGA on 27 June 1915 (this would have been due to his promotion to 2nd Lieut., RGA)

Sgt. Frith was promoted 2nd Lieutenant, RGA "for service in the field" (this is essentially a 'battlefield commission' and was announced in the London Gazette of 2 July 1915)

Posted to 7th Heavy Artillery Group, RGA from 59th Siege Battery, RGA

On 16 December 1915 posted from 7th HAG Ammo Column to 1st Siege Battery, RGA

Appointed Acting Captain from 12 January 1917 to his death.

Promoted Lieutenant, RGA on 1 July 1917.

Posted to 169th Siege Battery, RGA from 1st Siege Battery, RGA (probably due to having been appointed Acting Captain)

Killed in action on 3 November 1917

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick

Thank you very much indeed, that completes the picture nicely.  Looking at it again, I can see that the squiggle on 16 Dec 15 is indeed a shortening of Ammo Column.  I am most grateful.

The man had a most interesting career in the coastal branch of the RGA from Mar 1900 including taking part in the parade for the 1 Jan 1901 inauguration of the Commonwealth of Australia in Sydney, a tour in South Africa straight afterwards, then Mauritius, home stations, Sierra Leone and home again before joining 8 Div Ammunition Park at the outbreak of war from which, according to his record, he went to 59 SB.  .

Regards

Max

• 1 year later...

Help please... in relation to Ernest Solomon BRADLEY (my grandmothers youngest brother, a wheelwright by trade). All I know are details from his war grave at Cambrai.

Possibly enlisted 1914. Survived but Sadly expired from Pneumonia two weeks before armistice day.

What happened to him over those four years? can anybody help me?

BRADLEY ERNEST SOLOMON

United Kingdom Gunner 275178 Royal Garrison Artillery 30/10/1918 Age: 39 I. B. 5.

Details:   Died of pneumonia 30th October 1918. Age 39. Son of William and Mary Elizabeth Bradley of 2 Back 232 Bristol St. Birmingham. Born at Shirley Warwickshire. I. B. 5.

BURIED 

[IMAGE] Cambrai East Military Cemetery - Bradley, Ernest Solomon

Cemetery: Cambrai East Military Cemetery  Country: France   Area: Nord  Rank: Gunner

Official Number: 275178

Unit: 59th Siege Bty. Royal Garrison Artillery.     Force: Army

Nationality: British

His service record, like 60% or so of all Great War service records, has not survived.  Left is his medal card which shows he was a Special Reservist, a man who joined up before the war, did some training and went back to civilian life.  Called forward as soon as war started.  Went to France on 23 April 1915.  From the Register of Soldiers' Effects, we see he died in 22 Casualty Clearing Station** (a hospital) which was one of those responsible for the sick and wounded in the area his battery would have been operating.

Siege Batteries are notoriously difficult to research but I see that earlier in the thread, Dick Flory said he had the war diary from 1914-1919.  .  Without his record we cannot be sure he spent the whole war in the same battery, not unusual for men to be moved from one unit to another.  For example, the only battery that has a date to France the same as him is 13 Siege Battery so did he go with them to begin with - who knows but the diary will at least help with October 1918.

** The cemetery details say that 22 CCS moved to the town in November and that 30 CCS was there in October, whatever, he died in one or other CCS in Cambrai.

For general info about Siege Batteries - here's one link http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/the-siege-batteries-of-the-royal-garrison-artillery/  I don't know which guns 59 SB was equipped with.

May I suggest a personal message to Dick Flory (see earlier )who may not have seen your post asking for information at least about October 1918.  You might ask him where he found it, my searches have not been successful.  Let us know how you get on!

Max

Edited by MaxD
see next post

20 hours ago, StephKath said:

Help please... in relation to Ernest Solomon BRADLEY (my grandmothers youngest brother, a wheelwright by trade). All I know are details from his war grave at Cambrai.

Possibly enlisted 1914. Survived but Sadly expired from Pneumonia two weeks before armistice day.

What happened to him over those four years? can anybody help me?

BRADLEY ERNEST SOLOMON

United Kingdom Gunner 275178 Royal Garrison Artillery 30/10/1918 Age: 39 I. B. 5.

Details:   Died of pneumonia 30th October 1918. Age 39. Son of William and Mary Elizabeth Bradley of 2 Back 232 Bristol St. Birmingham. Born at Shirley Warwickshire. I. B. 5.

BURIED 

[IMAGE] Cambrai East Military Cemetery - Bradley, Ernest Solomon

Cemetery: Cambrai East Military Cemetery  Country: France   Area: Nord  Rank: Gunner

Official Number: 275178

Unit: 59th Siege Bty. Royal Garrison Artillery.     Force: Army

Nationality: British

Fortunately his records have survived which you should obtain. The RGA only had the Special Reserve pre war in Ireland and Gnr. Bradley's number tells us that he enlisted at the start of the war as a time expired ex. gunner or soldier. This would have been for one year or duration of year if lasting longer. His previous service was in the RGA and previous number was 8633. He was the 178th man to enlist into the S/R at the start of the war, but at the start of 1917 when the authorities tried to give men more unique numbers it was changed to 275178 (this series just added 275000 to the original number).

After you have viewed his records I would suggest coming back again when you will probably have more questions- he didn't join 59 SB until 29th Jan. 1916.

Kevin

ps. If you search the forum I am sure you will find more threads on 59 SB which may help.

Edited by kevinrowlinson

55 minutes ago, MaxD said:

his medal card which shows he was a Special Reservist, a man who joined up before the war, did some training and went back to civilian life.  Called forward as soon as war started.

Not quite. He enlisted again so was not recalled. His original records are also available. Over 6 years, if I remember correctly, at St.Helena/Sth. Africa, 97 Coy.

Kevin

My wrist is stinging from the slap!  My characterisation of him (without his record) as a man who enlisted specifically as an SR as opposed to a re-enlistment was sloppy, I should have noted both possibilities.

Max

Edited by MaxD
addition

Dick Flory has very kindly sent me the manuscript documents referred to in an earlier post which enable us to see where 59 SB was located   I have sent you a message separately about the records and can add some more detail now - have you got access to them on Findmypast?

Max

• 5 months later...

I have joined the forum as I see a number of people talk about the 59 Siege battery My wife's Great uncle was Gunner William John Uzzell he is buried at Cambrial East Military Cemetery his service number was 81622 he died 14 November 1918. He was from Berkshire but enlisted in Plymouth May 1916 I would like to know where the 59SB were for the period June 1914 to November 1918 could anyone help

• 2 months later...

Hi

I have a DCM/MM group to Corporal/Sergeant Thomas Marah - 59th Siege Battery.

His MM was gazetted on 1st September 1916

His DCM was gazetted, first on 1st January 1917 then on 13th February 1917 

Citation reads : For conspicuous gallantry in action. He repeatedly repaired telephone wires under very heavy fire thereby keeping up communications at a critical time.

A newspaper report regarding the award of his MM suggests he was awarded that for similar actions.

I would be grateful if you could let me know whether or not there might be a mention of this man in the diaries?

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thomas appears to have been awarded his DCM for his actions at/near Bazentin Le Grand on 14th July 1916.

image.png.0602d9cacbcd481aa426e98c22870045.png

Image source: The National Archives - file WO 391/5/1

Regards

Chris

William Willmot - your post of August seems to have slipped under the radar.  The diary for 59 SB for the period up to Jan 1916 was reproduced in post #4 by Dick Flory above in 2011.  Thanks to that gentleman I have the remainder reproduced below.

emo924 - no mention of your man but not unusual!  

I acknowledge here again the help from Dick Flory, may his life be an oasis of waving palm trees, warm breezes and spit-free camels.

Max

page 1.jpg

page 2.jpg

page 3.jpg

page 4.jpg

page 5.jpg

page 6.jpg

page 7.jpg