Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Needed Identifying this Sporran Badge

SANDY_LEISHMAN

Some Royal Scots in Essex 1916:

Edited by Neill Gilhooley

On 24/09/2011 at 04:25, Lachlan said:

The Camerons' sporran badge is the QOCH style regimental badge with St Andrew, wreath of thistles and motto "CAMERON".

....... surely an open topped "QOCH style regimental badge" with no "CAMERON" Lachlan ?

QOCH - Sporran Badge.jpg

On 21/09/2011 at 09:31, SANDY_LEISHMAN said:

Anyone recognise the Badge?

post-36268-0-14463700-1316593902.jpg

I don't immediately recognise the badge as a military item Sandy but have seen many similar badges on old "civilian" hair sporrans. 

The sporran and leather cantle appear to be a "real deal" Cameron Highlanders item as do the tails .......less the cups which are metal (and would have been black leather on a Cameron sporran) and the cords which would have been black. 

Are there any signs of an outline of another badge ever being in place? 

Any clues on the back of the sporran or inside the pocket that might give us a bit of a steer?

Regards

Ian

This thread is all over the place. 

Going off at tangents somewhat. 

Clearly the sporrans on the Chelmsford 2/7th photos are nothing to do with the original photo. 

The sporran in the original photo on this thread which TullochArd has thankfully brought us back to, does bear similarities to that of the Cameron Highlanders (albeit different cantle badge) as well as that worn by the Pipers of either the 6th VB or 7th VB Royal Scots (I can't recall which it was) in the very late 1800s or early 1900s.

Here is one photo of pipers of the Royal Scots wearing sporrans with a black background and two white tassles (the bridge appears completed...which would date the photo to 'post 1890') -

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/pub/pub_keystone_stereoscopic_views_-_forth_rail_bridge_and_pipers_-_single.htm

There are also a number of photos in existence of the Pipers of the 6th and 7th Royal Scots when the bands combined to become that of the 8th Royal Scots and in the photos the same distinctive sporrans can be seen worn by the Pipers of one of the originating pipes & drums!

But, it could also well be a civilian sporran !

44 minutes ago, Ron Abbott said:

This thread is all over the place. 

Going off at tangents somewhat. 

Clearly the sporrans on the Chelmsford 2/7th photos are nothing to do with the original photo. 

The sporran in the original photo on this thread which TullochArd has thankfully brought us back to, does bear similarities to that of the Cameron Highlanders (albeit different cantle badge) as well as that worn by the Pipers of either the 6th VB or 7th VB Royal Scots (I can't recall which it was) in the very late 1800s or early 1900s.

Here is one photo of pipers of the Royal Scots wearing sporrans with a black background and two white tassles (the bridge appears completed...which would date the photo to 'post 1890') -

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/pub/pub_keystone_stereoscopic_views_-_forth_rail_bridge_and_pipers_-_single.htm

There are also a number of photos in existence of the Pipers of the 6th and 7th Royal Scots when the bands combined to become that of the 8th Royal Scots and in the photos the same distinctive sporrans can be seen worn by the Pipers of one of the originating pipes & drums!

But, it could also well be a civilian sporran !

Thank you Ron, yes it has. Perhaps it would help if I started a new post on my query to keep things simpler? I’ve PM’d Lachlan in the meantime.

Edited by Httc

• 4 months later...
Guest Nerston5719

I have the exact same sporran as in the original post by Sandy Leishman, which I would love to return to the original family.  Was the conclusion of this post that it is a piper of the Royal Scots? It was purchased in Auchterarder, Perthshire  at least 20 years ago.  

On the back is" D.P.P. B 1", which I assume means first Battalion.  I realize this is a long, long shot but having the right regiment would be a start.

6 hours ago, Nerston5719 said:

I have the exact same sporran as in the original post by Sandy Leishman, which I would love to return to the original family.  Was the conclusion of this post that it is a piper of the Royal Scots? It was purchased in Auchterarder, Perthshire  at least 20 years ago.  

On the back is" D.P.P. B 1", which I assume means first Battalion.  I realize this is a long, long shot but having the right regiment would be a start.

All I can say is that the pipers of the 6th VB or 7th VB Royal Scots (and I am fairly certain it was the 6th) wore sporrans similar in design/cantle/badge to these in the very late 1800s and early 1900s, prior to 1908.

But it could equally be a civilian sporran.  DPPB.......Dundee (City) Police Pipe Band?

On 29/11/2020 at 07:58, Ron Abbott said:

But it could equally be a civilian sporran.  DPPB.......Dundee (City) Police Pipe Band?

Dundee  Police Pipe Band seems a most plausible possibility for "DPPB".  Not so plausible, but supported by the the photo below, is DPPB as Dagenham (Girl) Pipers Pipe Band who were renowned for dressing their Drum Majors over the years in black sporrans with diverse and changing arrangement of white tails or brushes.  

In short, whatever the original military provenance of the sporran was it may well have become "DPPB1", and been marked as such, in a subsequent "civilian" life?

I feel that "P.B." has to be the most likely abbreviation Pipe Band and "1" first sporran on the inventory book. 

Dagenham Girl Pipers Pipe Band.jpg