Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LOOKING FOR WW1 MEDALS

rickalan

hello im not sure if this is the right place to post about looking for family medals however out family dont have any of the medals issued and i have been looking for sometime now ebay mostly and now at a loss i know the chances are slim but i will post the details of the mens medals im looking for:-

William Thomas Avis (1889-1963)

16922 Gunner - 14th Bty Royal Field Artillery

Service Record and MIC Available

Enlisted 9 Nov 1914

Initially with the BEF to France 6 Sept 15 then to Mediterranean 11 Dec 1915-18

Hospitalised in UK with Malaria 22 Jan – 6 Feb 1919

Final Discharge 31 March 1920

Edward Alfred Avis (1891-1951)

57239 Gunner - 28th Bde Royal Field Artillery

MIC Available

Looks as if he was a pre war regular.

In France by 19 August 1914

Joseph Avis (1898-1983)

7022 Private – Bedfordshire Regt/Seaforth Highlanders

Pension Record Available

Enlisted 17 Aug 1914

Disch 2 Apr 1915 as Underage.

182382 Driver – 75 Bde Royal Field Artillery

Pension Record and MIC Available

Re-enlisted 8 August 1916.

GSW Face & L Foot (Both Flesh Wounds) 2 Nov 1917 (Treated Leeds War Hospital)

Final Discharge 13 March 1919

Frederick Avis (1896-1918)

46278 Corporal – 4th Btn Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Service Record and MIC Available

Enlisted 8 Sept 1914

Killed in Action 9 June 1918

thanks for looking rickalan

hi museum tom you might have read my other posts about these brothers and in particular im looking for info regarding this one arthur john avis, Shawn from the GWF has helped immensely and cant thank him enough but we seem to be stuck on this one shawn found what we thought was the correct guy so i started to research him... sometime had passed and shawn emailed me saying this was the wrong guy completely :-( i think he is working on it still but dont like to keep pestering maybe you could help if possible and we might get to the bottom of this one i can send you everything i have and would be eternally grateful

kindest regards Rickalan

You forgot to give their second name AVIS

My expertise is with Irishmen, and I do not have access to ancestry. Having said all that if these men are from Ireland I will see what I can find on them from my Irish archives.

Cheers.

Tom.

Another suggestion. Try the coin and medal dealers. This is one I have used www.petermorris.co.uk there must be many others with a web site, a google search may help with a few more. Some of these dealers may also look for you at their trade shows especialy if they know you are keen to find them

Rovert

Yes thanks i have registered with i dont know how many dealers mailing list's if they come in you never know right!!

regards Rickalan

Another suggestion. Try the coin and medal dealers. This is one I have used www.petermorris.co.uk there must be many others with a web site, a google search may help with a few more. Some of these dealers may also look for you at their trade shows especialy if they know you are keen to find them

Rovert

hi i was thinking you said you can look at your Irish records my grandfathers side are from cork and would like to know if some or any of them were in the military during ww1/ww2 do you think you could have a look please and see if there are any records of them

kindest regards Rickalan

My expertise is with Irishmen, and I do not have access to ancestry. Having said all that if these men are from Ireland I will see what I can find on them from my Irish archives.

Cheers.

Tom.

There are no Avis names in the Cork war dead book 'A Great Sacrifice.'.

'see if there are any records of them ' I do not have access to Ancestry.

Regards.

Tom.

hi sorry i didnt mention the name i was asking for you to look its egan not avis my fault sorry

regards Rickalan

There are no Avis names in the Cork war dead book 'A Great Sacrifice.'.

'see if there are any records of them ' I do not have access to Ancestry.

Regards.

Tom.

not sure where in cork the egans are from all i know is peter egan was borin in cork 1787 then moved to lambeth london and looking to find out if any of his children and their children was in ww1 ww2

kind regards Rickalan

I need a first name, where in Cork he is from.

There are 4 Egans in the 'Great Sacrifice', how would you know if they were related?

Cheers.

Tom.

guess i wouldnt really... not sure how i would work that one out to be honest...hmm....?

Rick

There are 4 Egans in the 'Great Sacrifice', how would you know if they were related?

Cheers.

Tom.

Long shot, but if not already tried, drop Nigel Lutt at BLARS an email with regards to Joseph Avis as he (and possibly his forebears?) has been keeping a record of those medals which have been sold publicly for some years I believe? archive@bedscc.gov.uk

Good luck - hope they turn up.

Thank you very much i have emailed just now im all game for long shots i wont rest until i find at least one from these courageous guys its important family heritage that has just been lost in time

kind regards Rickalan

Long shot, but if not already tried, drop Nigel Lutt at BLARS an email with regards to Joseph Avis as he (and possibly his forebears?) has been keeping a record of those medals which have been sold publicly for some years I believe? archive@bedscc.gov.uk

Good luck - hope they turn up.