Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loos 1915

little bob

On my local War Memorial I have two young men who were killed on 25th September 1915. The 9th Bn Welsh regiment went over the top at about 6.30 attacking in the direction of La Bassee.I wonder if anyone could help me with a trench map of the area .

Many thanks Jon , this will be a great help.The two lads in question are

37728 Private Charles Edward Evans aged 19

37701 Private Richard Flynn aged 15

Bob

Battalion location on 25th September (from the Official History)...

post-357-0-87477900-1315909498.jpg

trenchmap extract dated 10th September 1915 (linesman)...

post-357-0-07373100-1315909774.jpg

Modern equivalent (had to re-position due to the 1915 map being well out of sync with geo-refs (by a couple of hundred yards!!!))...

• 6 years later...
On 12/09/2011 at 14:05, little bob said:

On my local War Memorial I have two young men who were killed on 25th September 1915. The 9th Bn Welsh regiment went over the top at about 6.30 attacking in the direction of La Bassee.I wonder if anyone could help me with a trench map of the area .

Hi LittleBob,

I am related to Richard Flynn that you mention, lost in action in 1915 at battle of loos. Just wondering what you know about him?

how come you were researching also?

ceiron

Hello Ceiron and welcome to the forum.

I've been doing some research on those who are commemorated  on the Milford Haven War Memorial. Don't have too much information about Richard. He was born on 1 January 1899 and was baptised on February 1 . His parents were Richard Henry Flynn, a brass moulder, employed at the foundry on Milford Docks. His mother was Alice Flynn (Nee Lewis). Unfortunately Alice died in 1907. Like many other Milford lads Ritchie answered Lord Kitcheners call and enlisted in the Army. He was posted to 9th Battalion Welsh Regiment. None of Ritchie's service papers survive although he had two Medal index cards, one Flynn the other Flyn. The Battalion was part of the 19th (Western Division ) sailed for France  from Southampton on July 18th 1915. After a short period of training in the trenches the Battalion took part in the Battle of Loos.

A local newspaper of the time reported that in a letter to his brother  Pte., Harry Stevens  wrote.

" Charlie Evans  (that's Mr Ted Evans's eldest son aged 19 ) and young Flynn (Evans's pal) I am sorry to say , is either killed or captured . He was wounded in the first part of the charge and they couldn't get him in. Lieutenant Williams went out to look for him at the risk of his own life, but failed to find him."

Richard is remembered on both the Loos Memorial and the War Memorial in his home town of Milford Haven.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I knew quite a bit of that information, BUT I also learned some new things!

Im excited to know that Richard has a medal card that I haven’t seen yet. I’ll check that out right now. Maybe the second weren’t actually issued. It’d be nice to have a piece commemorating such a young hero in my great uncle.

I also didn’t know where his father worked. I’ve been down to the memorial in Milford when I was younger, fascinating and beautiful place.

Ive searched high and low for family remaining in this area, I’m desperate for a picture of Richard for my grand mother (her uncle) but have never been able to locate one.

in regards to that letter, do you have a copy of it?

thanj you so much, you’ve made mine and my Father’s Day!

The photograph was taken on  the day that these Milford boys (9th Welsh)  left home after their last leave before going to France. It's possible that Ritchie is in the photograph, I'm having difficulty in matching names to faces. The letter was reported in the local newspaper, The Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph.     Bobscan0042.jpg.f3996766cf9b48beb4d41ab76fade428.jpg

Wow. Thanks for the info on the picture bob.

if Richie was only 15, Id take a guess he’s the one who looks like a child front row.

Im mind blown right now.

This newspaper article, do you know if it exists online?

Oh -

an an interesting story behind the reason he joined too.

When they were living in Priory Road, they had neighbours whose son (aged around 20) had been drafted to war. The mother thought Richard was old enough to be drafted too and that he was lying about his age. (because apparently he was tall for his age)

and ... apparently she visited the house and give him a black feather. A symbol of a coward.

Little is known of the rest ... apart from the fact he enlisted under a false age and without his parents knowing.

The young man sitting on the grass is another under age soldier, Matthew Kingston. When his age was found out he was discharged, he had also been at Loos     Have a look at     www.cymru1914.org      Browse the catalogue -  newspapers - Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph   search "Ritchie Flynn" and  another search for "9th Welsh Regiment".      

Bob   

Could you write off this man?

My whole family have looked at the photo and this gent, looks scarily like my father.

Scary is an understatement!

C

293ED1CB-29D6-4161-B11B-A182DA0462F2.png

I hope that you have pinned Richard down as I have only managed to identify two men on the photograph.  One thing puzzles me, SDGW has Richard enlisting in Manchester . As far as  I know all the others enlisted locally.

Bob

Yep, he ran away to enlist. So is this photograph taken in Milford?

As far as my knowledge goes, he must’ve returned home. Before finally going surely. I doubt they’d just let somebody meet them at the training camp near Bullford.

It’s such a tough story to work out. My nans father (Richard Flynn’s brother), died when she was VERY young and so it was my nans mother who told these stories. It’s difficult to make out what exactly happened to be honest.

I'm trying to track down his brother Alberts’s children. Maybe they may have a photograph etc. It all comes down to family tradgedies in the end.

alice the mother died aged 35

albert got his leg cut off

richard died at war

elizabeth Elsie got fb but then ran away because she didn’t tell her father Richard had enlisted.

The photograph was taken in Milford Haven. Richards father must have known that young Ritchie had joined up, same situation as Matthew Kingston. At some point Matthew was in hospital having been gassed, a Nurse on finding his true age wrote to his Mother and she sent his birth certificate to 9th Battalion Depot, Matthew was discharged for being underage.

Bob

Edited by little bob