Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals - or convalescent homes

Moonraker

In today's Daily Telegraph there's an allusion to "Downton Abbey" becoming a Great War convalescent home in the new series whereas I vaguely recall seeing references to it being a hospital (possibly in speculation to which I was party).

This made me realise that my own list of "Wiltshire hospitals" and perhaps the Forum's long, long thread on UK hospitals probably include some that were for patients who had left hospital and were convalescing. I suspect that Longleat and Wilton fell in to this category.

Was the term "hospital" much applied (if at all) to convalescent homes? And what sort of staff did the homes have? I have this image of the lady of the house retaining some control of what went on and entertaining her officer-guests to tea and croquet. Would there have been a resident doctor, or did one visit? Presumably the ratio of qualified nurses to auxiliaries was lower?

And what sort of convalescent facilities did Other Ranks enjoy?

It remains to be seen how "Downton Abbey" portrays the situation but PLEASE no further speculation about the new series in this thread. There's already a perfectly good one elsewhere in the Forum, and it needs pulling back on topic after I took it off!

Moonraker

There were two types of Auxiliary/Red Cross/VAD hospital, and from September 1915 they were categorised as either Class A or Class B. Their status was decided on size, number of trained staff, experience and expertise, and quality of equipment. Class B only received men who had no nursing needs other than those of the most basic kind (help with washing, dressing, mobility etc.), and would be sent men who fitted their standards of care. So there was a good percentage of units that were for convalescent cases only, but they still called themselves 'Red Cross Hospital' or 'VAD Hospital' so it would not be possible to tell by their title alone. Some Command areas had less of these Class B facilities, so less convalescent beds. Scotland was rather awash with them, which is probably a reflection on less seriously ill and wounded men being able to travel further.

Neither Longleat, nor the Countess of Pembroke's Hospital at Wilton House were 'convalescent cases only' although they would certainly have had quite a few who fell into that category.

Sue