Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ranks and duties

doogal

Hi,

Just a suggestion - it may have been addressed in detail already, but I've not as yet located it in the search facility:

On the main website, perhaps a short article about the different ranks in the army, and what they did - I'm sure that ultimately some of the Pals could say this is a massive subject, too huge for a "short article", and it probably is - but a beginners/rough guide might be both interesting and informative, giving those researching perhaps an outline idea of some of the duties performed, expectations etc. by their subjects/relatives

This arose from a question I posted today, so my knowledge is demonstrably zero - however, if someone wants to point me at any pertinent online articles, and other sources, I will, in spite of explicit instructions not to, volunteer ( :wacko: ) to attempt to put this together.

The idea is basic, but informative - beginners more than experts.

In lieu of an article, possibly post here anyhting you may know about a specific rank and duties? - BUT wait for the powers that be to say OK to this bit - I'm only a Second Lieutenant at the moment, and don't fancy being busted back down to Private for clogging up the forum with stuff already available elsewhere :unsure:

rgds

doogal

I fully concur...

Even after help and suggestions via this forum, I find the subject a tough one.

Partly as during the war some ranks changed ans there is a difference between rank and appointments and......etc., pfffff....

Cheers,

Michael

Hi,

Thanks for that Michael, my thoughts exactly.

My original posting here was prompted by the wish to know more about the responsibilities and duties for ranks within the British Army during the First World War.

As there has been no adverse response from the moderators, I wanted to suggest that if anyone who has suitable knowledge about the duties and responsibilities of varying ranks, why not post it here if you have time - I have received information from one Pal - Captain Dave - in a posting that is highly informative and clear, about the role of a Lance/corporal. The link is here, and is an example of what a detailed and well covered mapping of duties could cover. Once again, Thanks to Captain Dave for this, as it covered my initial question in perfect detail.

Can anyone cover some of the other ranks here...?

rgds

doogal

As there has been no adverse response from the moderators

Blimey doogal, the moderators aren't there to respond adversely!

This is a great idea and I would be very happy to add a section to the site. All I need is the info...

Thanks for this Chris,

I will e-mail you with more details.

rgds

doogal

As there has been no adverse response from the moderators

p.s. My thought was that bandwidth and space can get used up very quickly, so didn't want to set off a trail of posts that only duplicated something I may have missed in another thread :mellow:

Hi Langleybaston1418,

how long have you got?

as much time as you can spare to put in.

Would be grateful for any information

with thanks

doogal

I am busy organising illustrations for Frank Richards's "Old Soldier Sahib" right now, and the task of ranks [badges and pay need to be included surely] and responsibilities is a big one, too big right now. I do have sets of Battalion Standing Orders for two of the finest battalions in the army: 2RWF and 2ScoRif, both dated 1912 and therefore before the 4 company changes.

I will be happy to look at individual questions, such as, for example, what was a Pioneer Sgts job, who was his line manager, how many pioneers under him ............

Dear langleybaston1418,

Could I suggest that you post the duties of one particular rank - really to start things off. I would hope that other Pals could then contribute, following your example and that by Captain Dave, as it should really come from contributions from across the forum, rather than land fully on one person's shoulders.

Leading on from there, if I could take you up on your offer, I would be grateful if you could outline the duties of a corporal (Unless you have a prefferred rank in mind) - detail in as much as it takes to give a broad idea of a corporal's position, authority and some duties common to the rank. Your description here is exactly the kind of thing I hope the forum will be able to offer:

for example, what was a Pioneer Sgts job, who was his line manager, how many pioneers under him ............

with grateful thanks

doogal

I have just had a shufti at the article. Unfortunately it has a fair number of errors, both of commission and omission. Sergeant major for one, and lance sergeant for another.