Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Am I wasting my time?

asdarley

Frank Rabbets, or Rabetts, born 1885 died 1961 lived in my village. I am told he served in the navy, that he was badly wounded and had a metal plate in his head. (There is also a suggestion that he was wounded in a Zeppelin attack). Previously I have researched soldiers but have no knowledge of what to do regarding a naval man. So, advice would be welcome! Including whether my lack of information precludes any chance of success!!

Hi,

I had a quick looksee on the National Archives website for their indexes to RN, RNVR and RN Division records using Frank/Francis Rabbets/Rabetts, but no luck (well, one chap turned up who came from the Isle of Wight but with an enlistment date of 1867 I somehow doubted it was the right matelot!)

He could have been RNR, a Royal Marine, even Merchant Navy. One possibility would be whether he is listed on the Absent Voters List 1918 for the village?

Clive

none of us are confident of success on some of these awkward searches. it might be worth checking the usual family history sources, such as census records to make sure that you have his FULL name, as well as any variants. Absent voter lists of available at your local library might also help.

Good luck

Keith

There's a Frank Rabbetts born Ashmore, Dorset about 1885, recorded in Ashmore 1891 and 1901 with parents Charles (ag. lab.) and Mary, brothers Harry (born about 1881) Albert (1886) and Tom (1893). Could this be him? Have you tried -bb- and -tt together?

He was a carter in 1901.

EDIT but I can't find any of them in 1911 - which makes me wonder if the spelling was correct.

Liz

Sorry I didn't finish.

The 1911 census is the one which the head of the household filled in.

I disagree with the i in the transcriptions - there are no dots over any of the so called i, but the family obviously only used one T.

His birth registration is for RABBITTS (A-M-J) 1884

but

Edith (1879) was registered as RABBETS

Henry (1880) also registered as RABBETS

Albert (1885) also registered as RABBETS.

The 1911 census is the one which the head of the household filled in.

I disagree with the i in the transcriptions - there are no dots over any of the so called i, but the family obviously only used one T.

Hi CGM, have just looked and I agree, it's Rabbets. I have made dozens of corrections to the 1911 transcriptions (as well as Ancestry) over the past couple of years as no doubt others have - findmy past did not reply to my suggestion that we should get money knocked off our subscriptions though!

However, the same errors will be likely to occur through all the other records, even if this is the right man. So it may not help find the naval records if any, except that the census records confirm there are no middle names or other versions of Frank.

Liz

So grateful for the replies. I did wonder if he might be Merchant navy or RNVR. The Dorset family might well be worth a look as I have also found four Rabbetts who served in the Dorset Regiment. So possibly a Dorset name. The Register of Seamen's Service lists an Edward George Rabbetts with a date 29 Oct 1887. Is that date of birth or enlistment?

He is listed as being born in Spittsburg Dorset!!!!!!!! I have a hunch that its actually a village near here called Spettisbury. So much for out sourcing the transcription work!

Although from this village he technically lived in the neighbouring parish as several of the villages outlying houses actually fall within a neighbouring parish ( only in rural England!)

I have yet to find the absent voters list for it.

Thanks again to all who commented.

• 1 year later...

Any relation to

Edward George Rabbetts, Born 29 October 1887

Served as F13200 in Royal Naval Air Service from 1916

Transferred as 213200 Royal Air Force 1 April 1918

National Archives interpret place of birth as Spittsberg, Dorset

ADM 188/586/200

Are you sure his death was 1961.

It seems to be 1966 to me.

Edward George Rabbett's RNAS entry that Biggles found above in in BMD and is in Blandford Reg district. If you look at BMDs breakdown of parishes in Blandford Reg District

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/blandford.html

The closest name to " Spittsberg " there is "Spletisbury" which dropped the L to be "Spetisbury" after 1955