Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC and medal card records

cazanne

My soldier is Patrick Muckian and his medal card shows him as a private in the East Surrey Reg no 29144. It also shows he wa in RASC ref 4/089985 and 1/15 London Reg 204939 and 1/25 London Reg 29144. CWGC has a Patrick MuciaM but as a Lance Corporal 29144 East Surrey Reg posted to 1/23 London Reg. Died of wounds 10 May 1918. Info from UK Soldiers Died in Great War has P Muckian private East Surrey Reg 29144 1/23 London Reg died of wounds 10 May 1918. Is it usual for CWGC to have incorrect details and how can I find out which London regiment he was in? Why doesn't the medal card show he had died? Any help in sorting out these differences would be appreciated - I am presuming it is the same soldier.

Cazanne

The Medal Roll reference on the MIC (East Surrey ref E/1/103B14 page 2729) relates to the original roll which is at Kew in Ledger WO329/1204. From that page you may find out which ASC unit he served from the outset,and then you might not ! It depends if the East Surreys had the info when compiling the Roll.

As there doesn't seem to be a service record for this soldier you may not be able to achieve the knowledge you seek.

Sotonmate

I have W Spencer who has a different number in SDGW than on his Headstone. I wrote to the CWGC and they assured me they had the correct record !!!

Rycroft

There can be scanning errors in the CWGC data, first stop is probably to contact them and ask for a check against the original paper register.

The rank discrepancy is easy to explain, lance corporal was not a substantive rank, but an appointment held by privates

You also need to check the medal roll, E/1/103B14 2729 is now held as WO 329/1204 at The National Archives (these records have not been digitised) as this should give further confirmation of the units he served with