Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'R.B.S.D' - Officer in the Royal Welch Fusiliers?

trajan

(I originally posted this in the wrong section (under 'Arms')- apologies for the duplication)

A local shoe shop in Ankara has its walls decorated with various objects allegedly from the Gallipoli campaign. Among these are four British officer's caps. Three are suspended high up on the wall, with the badges reasonably visible. They are: Lancashire Fusiliers; RAMC(? - it has a snake wrapped around a staff); and one with a Lion that looks like the Kings Own.

The fourth cap is on a shelf and so I could look at this properly. It has a Royal Welch Fusiliers badge, a white label inside with the makers/suppliers mark of a firm based at 18 Church Street, Inverness (BLAST, just realised that I did not write down the name of the firm! - I THINK it was Pritchard?), the label being marked in handwritten ink block letters 'R.B.S.D above the makers/suppliers mark'. I assume these are the initials of the officer who owned the cap. Any identification possible?

Trajan

Many thanks! I guess it is always possible that somebody has fitted the RWF badge on to a cap that was lacking one.

A long shot, I know, but hopefully somebody might pick up on the initials and then see the Inverness connection and that might lead somewhere. I'll give it a week and if no luck the I'll repost under 'RBSD from Inverness or vicinity'!!

Trajan

Hi,

No note that I can see of a RWF officer of any battalion with those initials who died in WW1, if that's of any use.

Clive

Trajan

A search on the NA Catalogue for Royal Welsh Fusiliers in WO339 (Officer service records)had 325 hits,none of which had the RBSD combination.This Catalogue series seems to be under revision and Regiment added to the name of the Officer,up to number 50065 when I looked last,and a long way to go,so maybe not even reached all of the 1915 Officers yet.

Sotonmate

Thanks LST and Sotonmate,

One hope of mine, from identifying if this cap did actually belong to an officer known to have served at Gallipoli - RWF (which looks increasingly unlikely) or another regiment - is that if I can tell the manager of the said shoe shop something about its original owner, then he will let me look at the other three caps - they could also be 'owner'-marked. Most of the other stuff there is the usual battlefield bits and pieces, but I feel a debt of honour with regard to these caps.

Trajan