Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help deciphering some names - can anyone help...

brimacombe

Hi Guys

Having had some great success now in transcribing the Winsford Admissions Register - thanks Grant,IPT and others who have given time to help - there are still a few names that I just can't decipher satisfatorily. Can anyone have a go at these....?

June 1915

post-38694-0-11764100-1314867846.jpg

December 1915

post-38694-0-22887700-1314867868.jpg

April 1916

post-38694-0-01383600-1314867908.jpg

May 1916

post-38694-0-47918200-1314867925.jpg

July 1916

post-38694-0-93128700-1314867944.jpg

July 1916

post-38694-0-34543900-1314867958.jpg

September 1917

post-38694-0-47521200-1314867989.jpg

Although I have managed to get names out of all of them, most of them are surnames not known in the GRO index or are surnames that have no births in or around the correct year etc....

Looking forward to your replies, and thanks again to everyone for your help - it really is appreciated guys.

Could No. 1 be Private 7180 Joseph Josuah Bilbel of the Royal Fusiliers?

No. 5 looks to be either Lance Corporal J. Rhisey or Raisey. If it's the former, this chap didn't serve overseas as the only MIC to the name Rhisey is Gunner 198462 William R. Rhisey, RGA.

all the best

Steve

Hi Guys -

I think Stokes and Fisher can be confirmed as definates (isn't funny, as soon as someone suggests a word, it looks pretty obvious when you look at it!) - thanks David

J J Bilbel sounded promising BUT, he was admitted to Winsford with a GSW right knee in June 1915. Bearing in mind he would have first been treated at (probably one of the Exeter VAD Hospitals), he would have received his wound some time before that (April 1915 perhaps). His MIC indicates entitlement to BWM and Vic only and no 14 or 14/15 Star so, on that fact, it probably isnt him (interesting to see the address given on the MIC is in Tel Aviv).

Not sure about Raisey/Rhisey/Rusey

There is a James RAISEY 18121 Som L.I. - his MIC appears to give his rank as Cpl (or could be Pte)

E Sumner looks like a good idea...

Thanks guys, all suggestions welcome...

I think No. 5 is Lance Corporal J. KINSEY, No. 6 is Pte. D. MORR and No. 7 is Pte. M. COLWILL.

Of course, you will not find them in the GRO index if they were born in Scotland or Ireland.

Could number 5 start KN...?

David, MORR doesnt seem to be a known surname - perhaps MORE?

COLWILL is a fairly local name (to Devon/Cornwall), but I can find no M COLWILL births for around the correct year.......

J J Bilbel sounded promising BUT, he was admitted to Winsford with a GSW right knee in June 1915. Bearing in mind he would have first been treated at (probably one of the Exeter VAD Hospitals), he would have received his wound some time before that (April 1915 perhaps). His MIC indicates entitlement to BWM and Vic only and no 14 or 14/15 Star so, on that fact, it probably isnt him (interesting to see the address given on the MIC is in Tel Aviv).

Just playing Devil's advocate here, but does the GSW necessarily have to have been received in a theatre of war - could it have been the result of a training accident prior to the man going overseas? Presumably such things did happen. (Though I don't know if this would be entered any differently in the hospital admissions books.) I wonder where 38th RF were based during training? (Though of course 38th RF need not necessarily have been the unit the chap trained with in the UK.....)

I noticed the address also - care of a chap working in Barclays Bank, Tel Aviv! :thumbsup:

All the best

Steve

Edit: May or may not be relevant geographically speaking, but I notice from the Long Long Trail website the 38th (Service) Battalion Royal Fusiliers was formed at Plymouth on 20 January 1918 from Jewish volunteers.

Could COLWILL be COLWELL ?

Medal card of Colwell, Mark

CorpsRegiment No Rank

Durham Light Infantry 18/1308 Private

MORR - there's a MIC for a William MORR in the Highland Light Infantry, so the north of the border idea is worth a punt

Grant

Medal card of Kinsey, John

CorpsRegiment No Rank

Cheshire Regiment 6697 Corporal

Cheshire Regiment 6697 Acting Serjeant

FMP site has just crashed, so I'm off to bed :angry2:

Grant

Could COLWILL be COLWELL ?

Medal card of Colwell, Mark

CorpsRegiment No Rank

Nice find Grant, and the right age too.

Births Jun 1893

------------------------------------------

Colwell Mark Durham 10a 396

The writer does not cross their t's making things more difficult, so No.1 could be J. BITHEL

I'm now thinkng No.6 could be D. MOIR - there are loads of them.

No 1, I got 3 choices with the name of BITHELL, all are low numbers, so must have been in early

Medal card of Bithell, Jabez

CorpsRegiment No Rank

East Kent Regiment G/4757 Private

East Kent Regiment G/4757 Private

East Kent Regiment TF/3080 Private

Born 1886 Keele, Staff. Mother - Betsy

Medal card of Bithell, James

CorpsRegiment No Rank

Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 2106 Private

Machine Gun Corps 62370 Private

Born 1884 Wigan, Father - William

Medal card of Bithell, John