Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another Unrecognised by the CWGC

temptage

Can anybody shed any light on this individual who is named on a Headstone in Cleethorpes Cemetery. Once again there is no mention of him on the CWGC site and I can find no further details even to what service he was in.

Help appreciated.

post-57353-0-45009100-1314727951.jpg

only apparent match on SDGW

Name: Lewis William Shepherd

Birth Place: Claxby, Lincs

Residence: South Killingholme, Lincs

Death Date: 16 Apr 1918

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Grimsby

Regiment: Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment)

Battalion: 2/6th Battalion

Number: 40890

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Comments: Formerly 38243, Lincolnshire Regt.

CWGC

Name: SHEPHERD

Initials: L W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: North Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 16/04/1918

Service No: 40890

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 51.

Cemetery: DENAIN COMMUNAL CEMETERY

So on the headstone where it says

"Died of Wounds - P.O.W. 1917"

Do you think that he died of wounds while he was a POW in 1917, or that he died of wounds ............................. and also the fact that he was a POW in 1917.

Surely the family would know when he died, wouldnt they? Why would they have the wrong date on the headstone? His name has been included on his wifes headstone who died 29 (or 28 depending on which date is correct) years later.

CWGC

Denain was a German hospital centre during the greater part of the War; and from the 1st November, 1918, to the 12th March, 1919, the 33rd Casualty Clearing Station was posted in the town. The Communal Cemetery, was used by the Germans to bury their soldiers and (in 1917 and 1918) 153 British prisoners. A British plot was made at the South-East end, after the capture of the town; and after the Armistice the graves of the prisoners and other British graves were regrouped beside it. There are now over 300, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over ten are unidentified and special memorials are erected to four United Kingdom and three Canadian soldiers, buried in the German plots, whose graves could not be found. The British plot covers an area of 777 square metres.

Surely the family would know when he died, wouldnt they? Why would they have the wrong date on the headstone? His name has been included on his wifes headstone who died 29 (or 28 depending on which date is correct) years later.

I would say he was taken prisoner in 1917 and died in 1918 of wounds. The family may never have been aware if the actual date of death as they aren't always none (sometimes they're a best guess).

his service record is on Ancestry. Posted missing 21st March 1918.

Enlisted 31/1/1916

Mobilised 1/5/1917

Post to Lincs Regt 4/5/1917

Transferred to North Staffs and new number allocated 23/8/1917

Died 16/4/1918

In his record there is a list of 15 men from the Leicestershire Regt sent thru by German military authority as having died in captivity. No details of the death of these men or that of Pte Shepherd.

Gents

I saw this post and noting Shepherd's No.38243, I was wondering if you had found out which battalion he served with prior to transfer to the 2/6th North Staffs.

This group of numbers appears to have been allocated to the 10th and 8th Lincs. As with many of the service papers from Lincs soldiers, the 3rd (Training) Battalion will get a mention.

Has anyone found a battalion for this man when initially sent to the Lincs from the 3rd Training unit?

Many thanks,

Dick Whitworth

Can anybody shed any light on this individual who is named on a Headstone in Cleethorpes Cemetery. Once again there is no mention of him on the CWGC site and I can find no further details even to what service he was in.

Help appreciated.

Well you got the help, might a "thank you" be appropriate ?

Gents

I saw this post and noting Shepherd's No.38243, I was wondering if you had found out which battalion he served with prior to transfer to the 2/6th North Staffs.

This group of numbers appears to have been allocated to the 10th and 8th Lincs. As with many of the service papers from Lincs soldiers, the 3rd (Training) Battalion will get a mention.

Has anyone found a battalion for this man when initially sent to the Lincs from the 3rd Training unit?

Many thanks,

Dick Whitworth

he's marked as 3rd Lincs Regt and then there's an entry re 10th (S) Battn Lincs 4th August 1917.

There's a bit of family info in the record (wife, daughter, brother, father and mother) and it looks like the Nellie mentioned on the gravestone is his daughter.

A big thank you to all those who have helped.

One thing I should point out is that I dont need telling to say thank you. I am perfectly capable of saying it in my own time. Not everybody can get on the internet every day!!!!

Capiche?